Thread: Programs from All Workspaces Show on Same (Classic) Taskbar After 12.04 Upgrade

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Programs from All Workspaces Show on Same (Classic) Taskbar After 12.04 Upgrade

OK, this is a new one: when I switch workspaces, the taskbar (I'm obviously using Gnome 3 Classic) is the same in each, meaning even if I have nothing open in Workspace 2, the taskbar will be full of apps open in Workspace 1, and clicking any will see me back at Workspace 1. Similarly, any apps I have open in Workspace 2 will be visible in the taskbar in Workspace 1, and clicking one will take me to Workspace 2.

Now, I know right-clicking a taskbar button can give you the option of "Only on This Workspace", but besides the fact I don't really want to do this for every thing I ever open (especially since I never had to before the upgrade), but it simply doesn't work, so isn't even an option.

I've had to fiddle with some Compiz settings after the upgrade - like disabling Unity within the Classic desktop so both weren't running at once, and enabling "Place Windows" so everything wasn't opening in the top-left with the titlebars hidden under the top panel - but I simply can't find where to change this really annoying setting which renders the whole concept of workspaces useless. Any ideas?

PS: The obvious solution of opening "Window List Preferences" and disabling "Show windows from all workspaces" is a no-go, as it is already set to "Show windows from current workspace", which is the default.
    Last edited by OzzyFrank; May 2nd, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!