• I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 117 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1981

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

I'll try that.

Does it need to be run each time I restart? If so, is there an equivalent in to the Windows Startup folder or a batch that can autorun? (I figure, what good is a computer if it can't do the repetitive stuff for you... )

Thanks!

Beans

I should also note that I am using a wireless (AP) with WPA and TKIP, not WEP.

I am making a little progress though.

Now, when I restart, I can manually "Connect to another wireless network" by re-entering all the info for the WAP, including the passphrase. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries and I may or may not be prompted for the password to the keyring.

It doesn't seem to be really consistent in its behavior.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Using Network Manager? There are other programs, some of which work better then Network Manager when it comes to WPA: wifi-radar (look in the package manager), wicd (the link in my signature)

just fyi, /etc/rc.local will run commands you put in it as root at boot (it rhymes!)

Beans

I tried the WiFi Radar without any success. I'll look at the wicd now as well though. I'll read up on use of the rc.local as well.

Thanks for the info - it's much appreciated. I'm working on my first "Linux-only" dedicated PC and having fun with it aand learning a lot. Bit of a steep learning curve though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What am I supposed to be downloading in Windows?
    I click stuff and things happen and it's fun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steveyos666
    What am I supposed to be downloading in Windows?
    just the script to install the bcm43xx driver, he wants you to re download it as it appears to be corrupt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

But what does Windows have to do with that? I can't install that on Windows eh now I'm all confused :-/

If anything I need to figure out how to clean out Ubuntu without having to reinstall it... Or maybe I'll have to reinstall it... Oh god I hate reinstalling... espeically when I don't wanna risk losing what I've got on windows already... sdfdsfsdfsfd
    I click stuff and things happen and it's fun

Beans

I'm new at this too, but I'll explain it as I know it

The ndiswapper is *part* of a Windows driver that gets extracted and used to communicate to the Broadcom 4318 card.

Why? because it's a relatively new card and few if any Linux-native dfrivers have been implemented so far. So, the Windows information can be leveraged to learn about the BC 34xx cards and develop drivers that will work in Ubuntu natively

Beans

Hi, i am kinda confused since I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu but have been using suse for awhile.
    yes I'm confused with the bcm34xx and the ndiswrapper I'm not sure if i got a wrong version of the ndiswrapper but when i install the broadcom drivers with ndiswrapper
    and then
    ndiswrapper -l

it shows that the driver is present and lists the PCI:ID for my card but it then says alternative driver:bcm34xx

i also get that same problem when using Suse 10.2 but in 10.1 it was really easy with ndiswrapper everything went fine. the only problem i have with Suse is that it really sucks up my ram and is sometimes slowish so i wanted to try out a different Linux so i decided to pick Ubuntu.

Anyways i don't want to use the bcm34x drivers because it has been really annoying for me so i went a used the instructions on how to blacklist and also did rmmod bcm34xx. But yet again it still some how uses the bcm34xx and when i ndiswrapper -l

it says that the driver is present and lists the PCI:ID for my card but it then says alternative driver:bcm34xx

so i was wondering if anyone could help and give me a tutorial on how to get it to work.

Thanks please reply

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua FUrlow View Post
    Hi, i am kinda confused since I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu but have been using suse for awhile.
    yes I'm confused with the bcm34xx and the ndiswrapper I'm not sure if i got a wrong version of the ndiswrapper but when i install the broadcom drivers with ndiswrapper
    and then
    ndiswrapper -l

it shows that the driver is present and lists the PCI:ID for my card but it then says alternative driver:bcm34xx

i also get that same problem when using Suse 10.2 but in 10.1 it was really easy with ndiswrapper everything went fine. the only problem i have with Suse is that it really sucks up my ram and is sometimes slowish so i wanted to try out a different Linux so i decided to pick Ubuntu.

Anyways i don't want to use the bcm34x drivers because it has been really annoying for me so i went a used the instructions on how to blacklist and also did rmmod bcm34xx. But yet again it still some how uses the bcm34xx and when i ndiswrapper -l

it says that the driver is present and lists the PCI:ID for my card but it then says alternative driver:bcm34xx

so i was wondering if anyone could help and give me a tutorial on how to get it to work.

Thanks please reply
    Code:
    me@computer:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
            device (14E4:4318) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
    me@computer:~$
    is the output of mine (and it works), so it would appear the (alternate driver: bcm43xx) thing is normal. Is your's not working?

Page 117 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167 ... LastLast