136 7.72%
Page 10 of 199 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Well, that is because the bcm4318 driver will make you able to activate it, but then you won't be able to use it. Isn't that great?

Beans

great, wonderful.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz18
    Hm...well at one point, it should've asked you to enter a password for the keychain thingy. Just out of wondering, what gave you trouble and made you read the whole thread? Hm...Well, good luck.
    Well, I followed the instructions down to the letter, and it didn't work right away so I started reading the thread, and what Magomago did on page 7 seemed to help get it working, although it doesn't look like that would do anything. My best guess is that in commenting out the lines '/etc/network/interfaces' it stopped a hardware/driver conflict that was happening without the lines being commented out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It worked for me on my AMD Turion 64 presario 2000 but only in 32 bit and not 64 despite trying the other scripts. I was debating whether to use 32 or 64 and this issue kind of sealed the deal. Thanks for this useful and easy to use How To. Haven't gotten around yet to enabling WPA encryption. This is next on my list of to dos.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Whether the 64-bit version works depends on whether you downloaded the 64-bit version of Ubuntu...it sounds like you downloaded the 32-bit version, so the 64-bit on wouldn't work.

Beans

yeah, i have a compaq presario v2424nr with a turion64 processer, i am hoping to get the bcm4318 driver workin' under ubuntu-amd64

i guess i'll go through the how-to again...

Beans

Hi everyone,
    I tried the script for install driver, but nothing, so I tried to reboot et voilą the light wireless is up. The connection is very good!

At the second reboot the light is off... the connection is off

I tried to reinstall, unload and load module ndiswrapper.. but nothing

help me
    thank
    P
    Last edited by plailopo; June 27th, 2006 at 08:32 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards AND HOWTO: Network Manager

I just got my Presario V2000 up and on wireless.
    It got AMD Sempron Mobile 32 bit Architecture with scalable graphics and virtual
    surround sound. Now it has wheels and wings, sweet!!!!

It's sad that I had Red Hat v.7, SUSE Linux v.8&9, Mandrake, blah, blah, blah...now I got Ubuntu with an NDISWrapper installer and I finally got on line wirelessly. It only took four years to get my freedom with Linux.

Ubuntu was the first Linux Distro I got on-line with ever and I did from the
    "Live CD" I burned that day, after I find that the Ubuntu ISO image I downloaded and burned before it was corrupted.

Nothing but bad Karma around this deal, but I noticed that we're starting to make headway with Linux and thus winning over the misfortune that has shrouded Linux for over two decades is right around the corner. This installer, and that is what it is, is one of the most incredible things that I have seen for my O.S. to date.

It is a script but it has the spiritedness and prowess of a full blown installer, as most installers are nothing more than scripted files anyway. You should package that idea with an I.D. as a configurable installer to include in compiled source
    binary distros man. You are there brother.

I seriously do not know how to thank its creator enough. I think you got a life dude, it's just everyone else that can't see it.

Excellent.

Ran into this way and that way instructions for NDISWrapper and not a single set of instructions yielded anything but frustration for me. I was seriously contemplating the fact of trying to create my own installer or tossing Ubuntu in the pile next to R.H. and SUSE, and then I found this thread.

I'm in the process of compiling some instructions for this script, I'm thinking a PDF, with a decent layout as I am pretty impressed with the knowledgability of all of you that have posted on this thread.

You all are literally what Linux is about, and that's the #@$! truth, period!

Fire fox seems to load slow on my system, but once the page is basically set it flies.

It has got something to do with the way it caches pages and web server/web page settings. It crawls a bit when I run of off my ethernet connection in Ubuntu. I myself set the cash high so that pages that I frequent load faster.

The speed problem that seems to be reported regarding this script and the driver install is reliant upon a lot of variables more attributed to the O.S. settings and browser configuration. The fact that there will be lag when you utilize "plug-in" components like NDISWrapper is inevitable and unavoidable without serious consideration.

A point to ponder regarding O.S. configurations on AMD systems:

AMD 64 chipsets are completely compatible with all 32 bit
    architectures, end of story. So don't worry bout 64 vs. 32 because your
    wasting your time. The AMD 64 chip has instruction sets in it's cache to
    identify your O.S. when you install it. The 64 chip will initialize and set the
    32bit instruction set for a 32 bit O.S. or the 64 bit instr. set for a 64 bit O.S.
    64 bit systems can run your 32bit software, but a 32bit system will
    never run 64 bit soft anything. The instructions strings for a 64 bit sys is
    twice as long as a 32 bit sys. You'd bottleneck your processor and lock
    your system. Essentially you should run the 64 bit O.S. because then
    you could run all of your 32 bit software as-well-as your 64 bit software
    having an optimized system configuration. Running a 32 bit O.S. on a 64 bit
    system is wasting your resources and the money you spent on that chip.

CPU's aren't free and they don't come cheap.
    Last edited by The Raven; June 27th, 2006 at 10:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by plailopo
    Hi everyone,
    I tried the script for install driver, but nothing, so I tried to reboot et voilą the light wireless is up. The connection is very good!

At the second reboot the light is off... the connection is off

I tried to reinstall, unload and load module ndiswrapper.. but nothing

help me
    thank
    P
    Hi,

Try sudo gedit /etc/modules and removing ndiswrapper on all the lines it occurs.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

thanks for your HOWTO; but it's not working for me:

My pc (laptop): Amilo A 1650

First problem: ndiswrapper.deb from bcm4318x64.tar.gz says me: Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'. So I do 'sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils'

True Problem : 'ndiswrapper -l' returns
    Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5 invalid driver!

I have tried with the driver from ndiswrapper's wiki but it didn't results . Have anybody an idea?

Page 10 of 199 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast