• I have this card, but I don't care if it works

19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 7 of 199 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

hey magomago I get the samething that you get.

Beans

mshen10, i'll reboot rightn ow (luckily this is a new pc so the only thing i have setup is compiz but that was straighforeward) and see if that fixes it...i'm worried some other guides i tried earlier fubared this one

Beans

ya. no good. Im just gonna wait for compiz to reply

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mshen10
    ya. no good. Im just gonna wait for compiz to reply
    I figured it out!!! I'm posting right now with it...and although I rebooted I don't think it is needed at all and probably beter for those who have their pcs already loaded...give me about 15 minute and i'll get it up

the funny part is that its just syntax errors

Beans

ahh ok. I hope it works for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mshen10
    ahh ok. I hope it works for me.
    Try running sudo modprobe ndiswrapper...might fix it. If not, wait for a reply from the other person having this problem.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Note: I'm going try to make this as similar to the original post as possible so it is more seamless. This method will allow you to use your 4318 broadcom chip with WPA network

The first few parts are ripped right from the original post, and all credit goes to compwiz18 who is a whiz I'm just an engineer that applied some logic to figure why a few files were empty.

That and by making it exactly the same, he can easily integrate the WPA aspect of it

http://

This HOWTO is for people who have a Broadcom 4318 Wifi card in their laptop. This card can sometimes be a bit difficult to setup, so I have provided a working method (for me, anyway). This should also fix problems that cause the card to stop working when you upgrade from Breezy to Dapper.

There is another thread for people who have other Broadcom wifi cards, which can be found here.

To check if you have a Broadcom 4318 Card, open up the terminal (click the Applications button, then Accessories, and then Terminal) and run (just copy and paste the code from the code boxes throughout the HOWTO [in the terminal, this is done by right click anywhere and clicking paste, ctrl+v doesn't work])
    Code:
    lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
    If your output looks similar to:

Code:
    0000:05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    or you can see the string BCM4318 in the output, then this should work for you.

The point of this HOWTO is to make it as simple as possible (not to educate people - if you want to know how this works, open the script and read it) for people who have just installed Ubuntu for the first time, so I wrote a script and have provided a set of drivers that worked for me. It is important to note that not all drivers will work as expected, so please use the ones I have posted. If you have any problems, please feel free to post them, and help will be given.

This script requires no internet connection after it is downloaded.

Process
    1. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/attachme...4&d=1150897000Download this item
    2. Open a terminal (click the Applications button, then Accessories, and then Terminal)
    3. #
      # Change the current directory to the desktop (copy and paste the following commands into your terminal [to paste in the terminal, right click and click paste, ctrl+v doesn't work] my edit: actual cntl+shift+v does )
      Code:
      cd ~/Desktop
    4. Extract the Compressed File
      Code:
      tar -xf bcm4318.tar.gz
    5. Run the script, which will install ndiswrapper on your system, and set it up.
      Code:
      sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup
    6. Reboot the computer. Now your wireless light SHOULD be on
    7. Lets get the network manager installed!
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    8. Now let us edit the CORRECT file
      Code:
       sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
      in this area comment out (put a '#' in front of each line) anything that doesn't have 'lo' in it. For example this is what my interfaces file looks like after commenting
      Code:
      auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0
      #iface eth0 inet dhcp

#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
      #iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
      #iface ath0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
      #iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    9. Restart....now the network manager SHOULD have the other networks up Connect to your network and insert your WPA key...YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Note: Thanks a lot to compwiz18 for providing the entire first part. The second part comes entirely from http://en.magenson.de/2006/06/11/ubu...pted-wireless/ however they are wrong in the file to edit...there is no "networks" folder...it must be the network folder. checking the directory by doing ls /etc shows this. All I did was put he two together

IF you have tried many guides, just make sure that only the driver we want is installed

do
      Code:
      sudo ndiswapper -l

you SHOULD get just

Code:
    bcmwl5          driver present, hardware present
    if you get anything else like "oem3" remove it by doing

Code:

sudo ndiswrapper -e NAME_OF_DRIVER
    You may want to restart.

By the way I have no idea if all those restarts are necessary...I'm guessing the first restart isn't necessary, but I put it there because that is how I ended up doing it.

Thanks all, and I hope this helps you guys!

eidt:

compwiz18 feel free to integrate this guide straight up into the original...as i wrote it to make integration easier. Also, insert the caveat that if they have tried many methods they need to remove any other rogue drivers.
    Last edited by magomago; June 22nd, 2006 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oki doki, will do Thanks for writing that.

EDIT: AWESOME!!! Didn't realize that it used network-manager till I tried it I'd been wanting to do that for a while. Anyway did that, get the new packages from the first post for automatic setup.
    Last edited by compwiz18; June 23rd, 2006 at 01:51 AM.

Beans

thanks. isn't it gedit? I did add the # in. I restarted and my network manager now lets me add wireless network. but how do i connect?

oh ya, when i go into my network settings it says all my network connection is not configure.
    Last edited by mshen10; June 22nd, 2006 at 11:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can click on the network name, and the program will try to connect. Enter your key and start praying it works (it doesn't always for me )
    Last edited by compwiz18; June 23rd, 2006 at 01:00 AM.

Page 7 of 199 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast