136 7.72%
Page 63 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Quote Originally Posted by bourne- View Post
    Sorry I haven't been around. Been really busy. So I saw on the homepage of the site that it looks like the new version of ubuntu was released? Does this version support the 4318 no problem? I will download it as soon as I am back in Toronto

thanks
    todd
    bcm43xx-fwcutter is still broken but ndiswrapper works fine (as long as you install ndiswrapper-1.8) and if you follow my how-to a couple pages back. I am writing from my wireless laptop right now

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Guess who's writing using his wireless?

It was quite a journey, but essentially rodgerdean's post in nbound's thread lead me to success. I simply installed all ndiswrapper-packages (1.1, 1.8, sources etc) like he did. And now it works. I mean it. Even switching between wired and wireless connections with knetworkmanager is no problem (the wired uses WPA-encryption).

So I don't know what is missing exactly from the script, but I guess ndiswrapper-utils1.1 has to be installed, too. At least IIRC ndiswrapper-common is linked against it. It's on the cd, but not installed by default. I'm much too tired to try all possibilities now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thats quite strange... mine works fine without the extra packages...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Bosonator View Post
    I'm trying out your new script, but I want to make sure I do things right the first time. You say:

I'm running kubuntu on an AMD64 system, and my Edgy download only came with the linux-image-2.6.17-10-generic. Even after enabling all the repositories (including multiverse), I can't seem to find the "2.6.17-7" kernel anywhere for download. Where do I go for this?

Thanks for your help... and for simplifying the instructions!
    Are you running it on an AMD 64 system with 32bit Ubuntu? Or are you running 64bit Ubuntu on your AMD64? If you are running 32bit Ubuntu, you are fine.

Edit: Look under linux-image-xxxxxxx in Synaptic for 2.6.17.7
    Last edited by compwiz18; October 29th, 2006 at 01:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: HOWTO/SCRIPT: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

I just updated the tutorial - it should work if you have the Ubuntu CD in the drive, because the CD has ndiswrapper on it, so there is no need to include it in the download (I think... )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz18 View Post
    Are you running it on an AMD 64 system with 32bit Ubuntu? Or are you running 64bit Ubuntu on your AMD64? If you are running 32bit Ubuntu, you are fine.
    I'm running 64 bit ubuntu on an AMD64 system. I never suspected having a better chip could give you so many troubles!

Edit: Look under linux-image-xxxxxxx in Synaptic for 2.6.17.7
    Hmmm... doesn't seem to be there. I might just give in and install the 32 bit ubuntu - there are too many troubles at this point. Thanks Compwiz - you kick ****.

Beans

Yeaaah!!! Thank you so much!

I'm a total Linux noob, this seems to be magic to me! I tried a lot to get my wirelsess work, but your script did the trick!

Fantastic! (although I did not think that I'd need ndiswrapper for this card with the 2.6.17 kernel...)

Thank you very much!
    andrinho

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz18 View Post
    I just updated the tutorial - it should work if you have the Ubuntu CD in the drive, because the CD has ndiswrapper on it, so there is no need to include it in the download (I think... )
    i thaught ndiswrapper was broken on the disk...or was it fixed before the release?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rekahsoft View Post
    i thaught ndiswrapper was broken on the disk...or was it fixed before the release?
    I actually don't know... :S Wish there was some way to do a fresh install without wiping my partition... then I could test it. As it is, I can't. But if someone would like to test it on a fresh install of Edgy with the CD...and give us the results that might be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The disk contains ndiswrapper-utils1.1, which is broken for some systems but required by ndiswrapper-common (I think). Removing the links would require too much work. To get your LAN working you need ndiswrapper-utils1.8. This has been reported on lauchpad, but I can't find the bug right now.

Page 63 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast