• I have this card, but I don't care if it works

19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 53 of 199 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

don't have it running when I used the script. Also, there is a ndiswrapper-1.23 folder on my desktop that seems to be locked. Can't get rid of it. Came up after i ran the script.
    Last edited by mshen10; October 11th, 2006 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hmmm...i will look into it...i will be patching up the script probably tonight...possably i ca figure out what is happening so i can fix that.

Beans

alright thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rekahsoft View Post
    are u using network-manager-gnome? if so...it is broken for edgy...a fix is located here I will be adding to the ndiswrapper script so it does this autmaticly. A patch will be availble soon.
    Yeah I don't even know if its broken. I don't get any of the error messages that those guys described. So I don't know what the problem is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well I tried this tutorial again with a completely fresh install. This was the first thing I tried when ubuntu fired up for the first time after being installed. And again it hasn't worked. ubuntu knows there is a network out there and knows that the card is present but for some reason it just won't use the card. The lights on the back don't even light up. After completeing the first part of the tutorial I tried System>Administration>Networking to try and configure the network. I select Wireless Connections and select Properies. Then in the Interface properties I select "enable this connection". Under Wireless settings I select "Network Name (ESSID)" and I select the name of my network in the house from the drop down menu. Under Connection Settings I switch Configuration to DHCP. I am not sure if this is correct or not. And I then click "OK" and then after that nothing happends. I am totally stumped as to what the problem is.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

------------------
    Also has anyone actually attempted this with a desktop computer? A wireless adapter that is using this chipset? Right on the instructions for the adapter it says to first install the drivers and then install the hardware. Could this be what is causing the problem. It says that if you install the wireless card and then the drivers that the card won't install properly. I am wondering if this is possibly what is causing the problem?
    Last edited by bourne-; October 12th, 2006 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Red face Broadcom 4318 with HP dv8210us

Hi All! I still read this thread even though i fixed my wireless and I don't have much to add, but i try to help.

I recently wiped my Ubuntu and re-installed (for an unrelated reason) and it gave me the chance to go back through my "How To" and look for errors. Only two, but I have fixed them. Any one with this configuration should be able to get this laptop up and running in 20 minutes with this corrected guide.

Compwiz, please change your pointer to this posting for the corrections.

How To: HP dv8000 series, specifically dv8210us, with Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

This guide was written specifically for this model laptop. It may work for others, I don't know, and don't ask because I am clueless and have no way to test other models.

This guide would not be possible without the dedicated support of Compwiz18, and of Randall, who supplied the missing piece of the puzzle.

Assumptions: You know next to nothing. You have a fresh install of Ubuntu 6.06. You use WEP for wireless. You set in the system BIOS that your wireless card is set to "on" as the default.

The first thing you should know is that you should have your wireless network set up to use "open" as it's WEP method. "Shared" didn't work for me, and "restricted" didn't work for Randall, so save yourself some major grief and set your network up using "open".

Next, go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. Now, click the reload button on the top of the screen. After reloading, on the left side of the screen, you will have a list of the different packages. You want to go to Networking. Then on the right side of the screen, find Network-Manager and Network-Manager-Gnome. Check those and install. When you are done, you will see the star at the upper left telling you that there are new packages/updates to install. Install them. There will be (at time of pubishing) at least 34 packages to install. Do that. Reboot. When you come back, at the top right of your screen, you will see a new icon showing your wired network as well as the lo (loop back) icon. You can right click and get property information about your wired connection under "Connection Information" . This means you did it right and all is good. It also means that the Network-Manager is installed, even though it doen't tell you that it is the network manager.

Now you are ready for Compwiz18's guide at the beginning of the thread. Make sure you click *For 64-bit ndiswrapper AND network-manager-gnome, click here. Some times this doesn't load right away, and only Compwiz18 knows why, but the file you are after is bcm4318x64-nm.tar.gz Make sure it downloads to the desk top. Then use the Desktop icon at the bottom left of the screen to get your desktop. Double clicking the file should extrct the file to the desk top.

Then, keep following Compwiz18's guide to install. If you used the double click method described above, then all of the files will be extracted to the desktop and you don't have to do the command tar -xf bcm4318*.tar.gz Just run the install in the next command: "sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup". A quirk of the instruction sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup is that at the end of the script, it doesn't return to the prompt. That is OK, just hit ctrl-c and you have your prompt back.
    You will note, if you look, that Ubuntu renewed your wired IP. That is a good sign.

Now, go to System > Administration > Networking. If your system is like mine, it shows that eth0 and eth1 are not configured. I first configured eth0, even though it is working, it needs to be set up. Configure this interface under properties, setting it to DHCP if that is what you use and make sure you check the box "enable this connection". When done, the eth0, your wired connection, is happy. Now configure your eth1 wireless connection. The first thing you will have to check here is "enable this connection". Then enter your ESSID or the name of your network. Remember! Capitalization counts! Change the key type to HEX (if that is what you are using, it is the default in most routers). Then enter your key. Then change it to DHCP, assuming that is what you use. Also, it doesn't hurt to set your eth1 as the default connection. i don't remeber having to do this at this point, but it should not hurt either. It probably helps. Save your changes. Ubuntu will take a long time to time out. This is normal, so don't panic. When you get back to the Network settings page, you will see that eth1 is now active. Click "OK" and Ubuntu will take a long time to time out again. (Speculation: your wireless card is trying to get an address, but can't, this is also normal).

You should, at this point, if you set your wireless router to "no encryption" and reboot, get an IP and begin surfing. But no one wants to have an unsecured wireless network. So lets go to the last step.

Here is the final step. Thanks to Randall for this last piece of the puzzle in item #420 and mssever for telling me how to edit the file. You need to edit your /etc/network/interfaces file. In the terminal window (you should still have open) type gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces.

In the section:

iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid GoatRanch
    wireless-key 1234567890 (not my real key, I'm ignorant, not stupid)

Change it to look like this:

iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid GoatRanch
    wireless-key open 1472583690 (not my real key, I'm ignorant, not stupid)

Save the file, then unplug your wired connection and do a hard shutdown (to clear residual information). Then restart your laptop.

Now, the first time I tried this, it didn't work. Don't Panic! This seems to be an Ubuntu glitch. Wifi would not come up and I was bummed. Then I plugged my wired connection in and I was back up. Then I did sudo dhclient, with the wired pluged in, and my out put gave me this:

dasgoat@dasgoat-laptop:~$ sudo dhclient
    Password:
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
    Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:14:a5:6c:9d:22
    Sending on LPF/eth1/00:14:a5:6c:9d:22
    Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0f:b0:f5:af:8d
    Sending on LPF/eth0/00:0f:b0:f5:af:8d
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
    bound to 192.168.0.101 -- renewal in 261163 seconds.
    dasgoat@dasgoat-laptop:~$ sudo dhclient eht1
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
    Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    eht1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    eht1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    Bind socket to interface: No such device
    dasgoat@dasgoat-laptop:~$

Note that it found the wireless connection. I unplugged my wired connection, and could get to the internet. I rebooted again, and everything worked as it should. I am using "open" with a key and I am not naikd as a jay bird. If you follow these instructions exacly as I have posted them, you should be up and running too.

I want to stress, I can only say this works with my configuration and hardware. But I have done my due dilligance and only posted these instructions as I have done them, step by step. I hope this helps others. I can not offer suggestions for other configurations as I only got this working for my self and I have limited understanding of Unbutu and linux and unix. But if you have this hardware configuration, this is how I am posting wirelessly.
    A goat leads the lambs to slaughter......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bourne- View Post
    Yeah I don't even know if its broken. I don't get any of the error messages that those guys described. So I don't know what the problem is.
    are you using it? what are your symtoms? like what is happening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok...i just finished making some updates to the script...i added the option to install network-manager-gnome (although it requires a online install [which i will change ASAP])...besides that no major changes...i included a patch for the older file, the older file, and the newest script. If you have the orignal script (posted by compizwiz 18 on page 1) then you can just patch it by extracting the arcive cd to the directory and do this:
    Code:
    patch ndiswrapper_setup.patch < ndiswrapper_setup
    You can also patch the newer script that i posted a couple of pages ago that fixed a little bug by cd to the arcive and doing this:
    Code:
    patch ndiswrapper_setup < ndiswrapper_setup-1.patch
    But the easiest way to do it is just to extract the arcive and replace the old script with the new one like this:
    Code:
    cp /path/to/new/script /path/to/old/script
    If there is any questions feel free to ask
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rekahsoft View Post
    are you using it? what are your symtoms? like what is happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by bourne-
    Well I tried this tutorial again with a completely fresh install. This was the first thing I tried when ubuntu fired up for the first time after being installed. And again it hasn't worked. ubuntu knows there is a network out there and knows that the card is present but for some reason it just won't use the card. The lights on the back don't even light up. After completeing the first part of the tutorial I tried System>Administration>Networking to try and configure the network. I select Wireless Connections and select Properies. Then in the Interface properties I select "enable this connection". Under Wireless settings I select "Network Name (ESSID)" and I select the name of my network in the house from the drop down menu. Under Connection Settings I switch Configuration to DHCP. I am not sure if this is correct or not. And I then click "OK" and then after that nothing happends. I am totally stumped as to what the problem is.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

------------------
    Also has anyone actually attempted this with a desktop computer? A wireless adapter that is using this chipset? Right on the instructions for the adapter it says to first install the drivers and then install the hardware. Could this be what is causing the problem. It says that if you install the wireless card and then the drivers that the card won't install properly. I am wondering if this is possibly what is causing the problem?
    I described basically where I am at in the quoted part, a post I made just above.

Beans

Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build;
    give the path to kernel build directory with
    KBUILD=<path> argument to make
    make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mshen10/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver'
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    make died with exit status 2
    ndiswrapper: No such file or directory
    ndiswrapper died with exit status 1

could the reason why this isn't working is because of my kernel?
    Last edited by mshen10; October 12th, 2006 at 07:18 PM.

Page 53 of 199 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast