Page 40 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Quote Originally Posted by miked595 View Post
    I don't know if this link already showed up but I have an HP dv8000 with the broadcom 4318 and after many howtos this one finally worked.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ef4d133959d618

Since dapper has some support built in all you need is the firmware package and then follow some of the suggestions for the interfaces config.

=========
    Managed DNS
    Rumor has it that this method only works with wireless B, which is annoying for those of us who would like to use G...but I think it does have some advantages, although I can't think of any of them off the top of my head

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

ok guys and gals.

First, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this posting, i would not be where I am today with out all of your dedicated and selfless help.

I have a HP dv8210us. I installed the scripts given at the begining of this tread. at first nothing seemed to work. The scripts installed properly, abet with some errors that have previously been discused with regard to files not being there, so we don't care. I then methodically went through post by post, until i got to page 9, trying everything sugjested that my PC and Ubuntu would let me do. Since I started Ubuntu in September, I figure most of the problems have been solved, and nothing I did really made a difference. infact I was very worried that i would crash my system by trying things that were not really ment for me, or that i had no idea what i was doing. A geek with a small bit of understanding is a dangerous thing, as we know how to enter commands we don't know the funtion of.

Somewhere back on page 4 or 5 there was a command that turned on my wireless card and could communicate with my router, even though i could not get out. On a whim, I decided to turn off all encription and reboot with the wired connection unplugged. i don't know why this is, but it seams that doing so forces my network card to be the default interface. and low and behold, here I am posting to you wirelessly. =D>

Now this is not the best of situations, but after days of stuggling, I am happy for any progress.

So, please, if some one can jump me to what I am doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it. Having an open system is too scarry to live with.

again, thank you all for your support, and i am going back to reading all posts.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I have read all posts, and Ubuntu is still working. I don't know why it works in an usecured enviorment anf not a secured one.

please point out the error of my ways, as i am almost there as a full Ubuntu user.

Das Goat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Das Goat View Post
    Ok, I have read all posts, and Ubuntu is still working. I don't know why it works in an usecured enviorment anf not a secured one.

please point out the error of my ways, as i am almost there as a full Ubuntu user.

Das Goat
    Are you using WEP or WPA?

If WPA, you will need wpa_supplicant.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

I am currently using WEP. I tried Open and Shared. Neither seemed to work. I am going to try to find the WPA_suplicant so I can try that, though I must admit the instructions seemed complicated for a neophite like me. I'm still figuring out how to download and install packages and I don't know enough to tell if they are loading right. Or what to do if they are a total bust and I have bad code im my system.

I plan to contribute by writing a How To guide for the HP dv8210us and the 4318 wireless card when I get this right buy errasing Ubuntu and doing it again so even simpltons like myself cand do it. Hell, it is the least I can do after all the great help thie thread has given me.

So I will be watching. Is there something stupidly obvious I am overlooking here? This is my outputs:

dasgoat@Ubuntu-laptop:~$ iwlist
    Usage: iwlist [interface] scanning
    [interface] frequency
    [interface] channel
    [interface] bitrate
    [interface] rate
    [interface] encryption
    [interface] key
    [interface] power
    [interface] txpower
    [interface] retry
    [interface] ap
    [interface] accesspoints
    [interface] peers
    [interface] event
    dasgoat@Ubuntu-laptop:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:B0:F5:AF:8D
    inet addr:192.168.0.103 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20f:b0ff:fef5:af8d/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1819 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1321 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1756904 (1.6 MiB) TX bytes:144177 (140.7 KiB)
    Interrupt:233 Base address:0x6400

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:A5:6C:9D:22
    inet6 addr: fe80::214:a5ff:fe6c:9d22/64 Scope:Link
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:50 Memory:c0204000-c0206000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:272 (272.0 b) TX bytes:272 (272.0 b)

dasgoat@Ubuntu-laptop:~$ iwlist eth1 scan
    eth1 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:15:E9:17:F9:8E
    ESSID:"GoatRanch"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
    Quality:0/100 Signal level:-67 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0
    Cell 02 - Address: 00:13:46:C4:9C:94
    ESSID:"GoatRanch"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
    Quality:0/100 Signal level:-59 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0

Beans
    Distro

Well, just to confirm everything, I retried changing all of the settings again just to be methodical:

WEP Open ASCII - reboot

WEP Open Hex - reboot

No Security - reboot

Erase the code in ubuntu network manager - reboot. Works

So i am posting again wirelessly, nakid as a jay bird, but it does work.

I do note that i never get a wireless icon in the upper right, thou the wired icon and the lo loopback icons are there. I don't know if this significant. i won't do it now, but last night when I changed settings in the router wirelessly, I did get two spinning thingies while it tried to accuire network addresses. I don't know if this is significant either.

Is there a command like ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew? ifconfig only seems to show the running state.

ifconfig --help lists arguments, but i don't understand them. Do i need to down/up the interface like with a router?

just for information, here is my output:

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:A5:6C:9D:22
    inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::214:a5ff:fe6c:9d22/64 Scope:Link
    RX packets:1676 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1191 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:896910 (875.8 KiB) TX bytes:191866 (187.3 KiB)
    Interrupt:50 Memory:c0204000-c0206000

<patiently waiting>

Beans
    Distro

Ok, i hope to not get annoying, but I have done so much so far i hate to trow it all away.

so.... does anyone know if the build from ttp://master.grad.hr/~ivoks/ubuntu/

is a 64 bit version and does it matter?

I installed [ ] wifi-radar_1.9.6-0ub..> 10-Apr-2006 22:49 33K

It was marked with a tag line saying ***all.deb so i sure hope so. i will post in a moment if this was successful.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Please pardon all of my posts, but if I don't post right now, I will not remember what I did, and that helps no one, so please forgive me.

Ok, so I loaded the file i talked about in my last post. This seems to be the right file, because luckaly for idiots like me, it let me install the program from the GUI, or mybe it is the GNOME, I don't know, I am not good enough yet to know what i am doing, let alone what I am supposed to call it.

this lets me run the app under Applications > Internet > WifiRadar

The app tells me it can see my wireless net work (yeah) but i can not edit the connection like under Windows. OK, thinks i, let me go under System > Administration > Networking and set my HEX key then reboot.

Apon reboot, i can not connect wirelessly (no supprise) BUT i now have important information. Launching Wifi-Radar I can see my network, and it says it is connected with out an ip.

So, now i am frantically searching the prior posts, all 40 pages of them, to find the command that is like ipconfig/renew. I know it is dhclient something.......thank god the terminal window remembers all those past commands. unfortunately for me, the 60 or so commands don't go back far enough.....

furtunately for me, I didn't smoke too much dope back in the day, and my midterm memory told me it was dhclient. Permission denied, permission denied....

oh yeah, unplug wired cable and sudo dhclient

Searched and searched and couldn't get an ip.

wifi-radar: now i can see the network, but i still can't edit it. How about "connect" you ask? good question! wonder of wonders, it let me enter all of the information this time and tried real hard to connect, but no dice. I finally had to force quit, but it couldn't get an ip.

So here is what I am going to do: Set the WEP key in ubuntu, set the key in my router. Unplug my router so when I reboot the laptop it doesn't find anything. Load wifi-radar and create the entry for my network so maybe wifi-radar will let me have a saved entry. then turn off the laptop, turn on the router, turn on the laptop and see what happens.

i sure hope this helps some one because i am putting an awful lot of work into it.

Beans
    Distro

Well, after an hour and a half kicking this thing, i am no where closer.

i tried everything I could think of, every cobination of WEP, keys, codes, settings and every un-original idead i could come up with, and nothing worked. Disabling Super G mode, forced to B mode (as best i understand it), changing the SSID, making new entries, saving anthying that would save, nothing worked....

Except turning off all encription. That worked again. i am posting wirelessly, so you know it works, But being nakid a s a jay bird just will not cut it, so i am turning on encription and going to bed. Maybe tomorrow there will be just the post i need. Who can say?

I have lots of work to do with WINE if i have any hope of freeing my company from thw Windows beast, but if i can't get this simple thing to work, then there is no where else to go. I hope to save us $10,000 in Windows Tax, so i have modivation. Please, if you know why my encription will not work, please post.

Das Goat, Ubuntu wat-a-be

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Wow. Thanks so much. Despite some pre-purchase research, I still ended up buying a Buffalo WLI-CB-G54S with this Broadcom 4318 chipset - without a doubt, (as we all know) probably the most problematic chipset out there for us *nix addicts. Thanks to you though it works great!

Here's what's funny, tho. I tried and tried and tried to get this to work w/out encryption - for naught. I finally turned WPA/TKIP back on on my router (Belkin cheapie) - and voila! Go figure. Works on secure networks, but not insecure.

There's still some network-manager silliness on boot-up, but who cares?! I'm freeeeeeeeee!!!!!

jc

Page 40 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast