69 3.92%
  • I have this card, but I don't care if it works

19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 39 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Re: HOWTO/SCRIPT: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Trying it now in Knot 3 and haven't had much luck.

From a fresh install I run your script and all looks good until...

Modprobing ndiswrapper...
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17-7-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument
    modprobe died with exit status 1

Update: Reinstalled Dapper and the script worked like a charm. Not sure what the problem is but it's definitely Edgy-related.
    Last edited by bettermentflux; September 16th, 2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: More info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bettermentflux View Post
    Trying it now in Knot 3 and haven't had much luck.

From a fresh install I run your script and all looks good until...

Modprobing ndiswrapper...
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17-7-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument
    modprobe died with exit status 1

Update: Reinstalled Dapper and the script worked like a charm. Not sure what the problem is but it's definitely Edgy-related.
    Yep, I had the same problem with Knot 2. It is definitely Edgy-related. I think it has something to do with the fact that in Edgy, ndiswrapper (if you download it from the repo) is actually executed by running ndiswrapper-1.1...that confused me for a while. And if you download the latest ndiswrapper from SourceForge, the driver doesn't work with it...

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz18 View Post
    You can try a fresh install...that would probably fix it. If you don't wanna do that, run ndiswrapper -l and make sure that it only shows bcmwl5 (the driver that came with the script). I think you have probably screwed something up though, and a fresh install would do the trick.

If you don't wanna do that, stick another post up here an I'll see what I can do.

Also, make sure you are using the ndiswrapper that is in the repos. The newest one doesn't work...
    Hi Compwiz,

I'm a bit reluctant to do a fresh install for obvious reasons. I have been diligent in removing/undoing stuff that I have done while trying things out including deleting firmware, enabling blacklists and doing ndiswrapper -e to clean out old stuff.

I have just now used your drivers with ndiswrapper.
    ndiswrapper -l gives:
    Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present

After modprobe-ing ndiswrapper, the nice little blue wireless light comes on on the keyboard. When I enable the connection in the network settings, I can do iwlist scan and it sees 3 stations, including my one called "Starfleet".
    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:12:0E:41:93:27
    ESSID:"Starfleet"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.422 GHz (Channel 3)
    Quality:0/100 Signal level:-45 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
    6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
    36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=200
    Extra:atim=0

iwconfig gives the following:
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
    RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

However, when I try, either throught the network manager, or on the command line, to assign the essid to "Starfleet" and get an ip address through dhcp, the dhcpclient times out. Attempts to change the essid do nothing although changing the frequency, e.g. using:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
    does work.

Originally I was suspecting that I had caused some confusion between interface definitions maintained by gnome vs /etc/network/interfaces, but given that I can't manually change the essid of the card, there seems to be a deeper problem.

Cheers,
    Randall.

Beans
    Hidden!

is there anyway to do like a "system restore" so i can try this how to from a fresh install??

Thanks, Compiz18. Do you happen to know if the problem has been reported as a bug? I'd hate for this to still be an issue a month from now, when Edgy is released.

Beans
    Hidden!

Edit!! Wifi Now Works! Thanks A Lot!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bettermentflux View Post
    Thanks, Compiz18. Do you happen to know if the problem has been reported as a bug? I'd hate for this to still be an issue a month from now, when Edgy is released.
    I'll see what I can do about that. If it isn't a bug, just us not knowing what to do, once I figure it out I'll post an Edgy version of the script

Beans
    Hidden!

Tiede --

I was wondering if you could tell me how you finally got your wireless working. I also have an Aspire 3003. I had been trying for weeks, and now I know the problem was not with the files I was trying to install (using ndiswrapper), but the fact I needed ACPI support. For some reason, I just can't seem to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz18 View Post
    I'll see what I can do about that. If it isn't a bug, just us not knowing what to do, once I figure it out I'll post an Edgy version of the script
    Please let me know if you want someone with this particular setup to test a pre-release of the script. Also willing to do some research if you can point me in the right direction. Feel free to reach me at jh michaels at gmail (no space).

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Beans

I don't know if this link already showed up but I have an HP dv8000 with the broadcom 4318 and after many howtos this one finally worked.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ef4d133959d618

Since dapper has some support built in all you need is the firmware package and then follow some of the suggestions for the interfaces config.

=========
    Managed DNS

Page 39 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast