19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 2 of 199 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Your method looked really promicing, it got me much closer than the others in that ndiskgtk now acknowledges that the hardware is present and it gets an IP address. Unfortunately I still can't get online (or even ping out), even on a wire. If I disable eth1 (formerly wlan0) eth0 suddenly starts working again. Any ideas? If it helps, this wasn't the first thing I tried to make it work.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by teryret
    Your method looked really promicing, it got me much closer than the others in that ndiskgtk now acknowledges that the hardware is present and it gets an IP address. Unfortunately I still can't get online (or even ping out), even on a wire. If I disable eth1 (formerly wlan0) eth0 suddenly starts working again. Any ideas? If it helps, this wasn't the first thing I tried to make it work.

I appreciate the help in advance.
    Can you run iwlist eth1 scan in a terminal, and also iwconfig? And post the results please? As for eth0 suddenly working when you disable eth1, try changing the default gateway interface:

by selecting eth0...that might fix it.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

Good to call me on the default gateway, because sometimes it is the simple stuff, but this time I think it was just me going faster than the computer could apply changes, and it got bogged down. That part is working now.

As for the output of those two commands, they look to the untrained eye to be symptoms of a correctly configured card. The only problem is that it just doesn't like to ping anywhere or look at any website. Since I most recently enabled eth1
    I have sent 9 packets according to the connection properties... that seems low given the number of times I submitted http requests to test it.

Code:
    matt@matttop:~$ iwlist eth1 scan
    eth1      Scan completed :
              Cell 01 - Address: 00:0F:3D:37:DB:7B
                        ESSID:"KeepOff"
                        Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
                        Mode:Managed
                        Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                        Quality:0/100  Signal level:-80 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
                        Encryption key:off
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                                  11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                                  48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                        Extra:bcn_int=100
                        Extra:atim=0

matt@matttop:~$ iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"KeepOff"
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:0F:3D:37:DB:7B
              Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
              RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:-83 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.

matt@matttop:~$
    Edit: and one other observation, it's reading out at 100% signal quality, regardless of whether I'm a meter from the WAP or my current position of across the house in the basement (where Windows tells me the signal is weak).
    Last edited by teryret; June 19th, 2006 at 12:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

teryret - it looks like you have it configured right...do you have some sort of MAC filtering enabled, or something else? static ips?

Beans
    Hidden!

Nope, no security whatsoever, and it does get a valid IP from DHCP, it just doesn't know what to do with it. Plus, the laptop is dual booting with vista and it works flawlessly (same MAC, and usually the same IP too).

Even if there were some sort of filtering going on, wouldn't the counter show more than just 9 packets sent?

Edit: Also, why would iwconfig and iwlist disagree about the link quality?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Now I'm having the same problem. Connects, gets an IP, but won't download any pages. I can ping the router though, at 192.168.1.1 . Works great in XP, but just won't work in Ubuntu. On the other hand, I have 128 bit encryption...this might be part of the problem. Should probably turn that off before I try to fix this.

If there is someone else out there who knows how to fix this, speak up Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Great, I'm conceptually contageous, the mere thought of this type of problem causes it... Quick, to the placebo store, I heard they just found a cure.

In any case, mine is back to not letting me online when I have the wireless card turned on, despite eth0 being plugged in and the default gateway.

I don't think the encryption matters, because I've currently got the box over at a friend's house and his 64 bit WEP is doing the same thing as my unencrypted wlan and your 128 bit one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by teryret
    Nope, no security whatsoever, and it does get a valid IP from DHCP, it just doesn't know what to do with it. Plus, the laptop is dual booting with vista and it works flawlessly (same MAC, and usually the same IP too).

Even if there were some sort of filtering going on, wouldn't the counter show more than just 9 packets sent?

Edit: Also, why would iwconfig and iwlist disagree about the link quality?

Ok now i am having the exact same problem.

Beans

Mine is still working, but one thing I've noticed is sometimes when I boot up it hangs on configuring network devices. It finally turns my wireless light on but when it boots up it won't connect. I have to reboot, then it has connected everytime (knock on wood). I've broken the connection twice now by screwing around with different things trying to learn Linux, but I just run this script again and it fixes it.

If anyone would like me to post any settings I'd be glad to. Just tell me what you'd like to see and I'll do my best. Keep in mind my experience with Linux is about 1 week old.
    Last edited by revilot; June 20th, 2006 at 03:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by revilot
    ....but I just run this script again and it fixes it....

What is this "script"?

Page 2 of 199 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast