19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 179 of 199 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1981

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

I had everything working (live cd) from the instructions of The Raven. He indicates the filename to use is bcm4318(1).tar.gz I now can't find that specific filename anymore, or maybe I didn't have it. I was able to go wireless on the live CD. I intalled 7.10 on my Hard Drive - now I am confused again. I did not intall the "restricted drivers" after intalling to my hard drive.

when I key in:

lspci | grep | Broadcomm\ Corporation

I get:

02:03.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306........

I downloaded and ran BCM4318all.tar.gz and do:

sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup

seems like everything loads OK. When I reboot, there is no wireless connection available.

I have all of the different documentation printed out. What file(s) do I need to download and What step am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
    Can't go back to XP - at least on my laptop

Ralph - message sent from another outated XP machine
    Last edited by RalphRU; December 15th, 2007 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@RalphRU: When you reboot the livecd, everything is lost, so you'll have to redownload the file, I suspect.

Also, it looks like you have a BCM4306. It should work fine, though.

If you could post the log file on your desktop, that would be great

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

I'm running Gutsy (7.10) and a Broadcom 4318 wireless card on my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop.

I tried running the:
    sudo ./ndiswraper_setup

from terminal while i'm in the desktop directory and after I have extracted the files to the desktop, however, when i run the command above for the setup, i get the following:

tony@tony-laptop:~$ cd ~/Desktop
    tony@tony-laptop:~/Desktop$ sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup
    [sudo] password for tony:
    Starting ndiswrapper install...
    If you have any package managers open (i.e. Adept or Synaptic or apt-get),
    Please close them now then press Enter.

Gutsy release detected.
    Installing ndiswrapper-1.9...
    Then the installation just hangs on me at the "installing ndiswrapper-1.9..." phase

What am i missing here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by tonycm1 View Post
    I'm running Gutsy (7.10) and a Broadcom 4318 wireless card on my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop.

I tried running the:
    sudo ./ndiswraper_setup

from terminal while i'm in the desktop directory and after I have extracted the files to the desktop, however, when i run the command above for the setup, i get the following:

Then the installation just hangs on me at the "installing ndiswrapper-1.9..." phase

What am i missing here?
    This might be a silly question, but is there a reason you're not running the restricted driver already in Gutsy? It seems to work perfectly fine on my Broadcom card in an HP dv6324us.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The restricted driver doesn't work quite as well as the ndiswrapper driver in some situations.

@tonycm1: Did you put the CD in the drive?

Beans
    Distro

I've already tried the restricted drivers before and it hasn't worked.

I'm pretty sure I had the CD in there... but it still hangs when installing ndiswrapper-1.9...? I figured it would pick it up from the net if I didn't have the CD in there.... am I wrong on that

Also... anybody else had issues with it hanging at that install stage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

well, i have finally upgraded to 7.10, and the issue i have is it keeps asking for my wep key. i keep entering it, and it pops back up a few seconds later. i know i'm putting in the right key. is there any way to address this?
    I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars. - Walt Whitman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by tonycm1 View Post
    I've already tried the restricted drivers before and it hasn't worked.

I'm pretty sure I had the CD in there... but it still hangs when installing ndiswrapper-1.9...? I figured it would pick it up from the net if I didn't have the CD in there.... am I wrong on that

Also... anybody else had issues with it hanging at that install stage?
    That happened to me trying to install it in 7.04, I had to have the CD in there IIRC.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans

If you have 7.10 you should no longer have a problem with this card or a lot of others. Juat activate the restricted drivers in the System>Admin>Restricted Drivers manager. It will download the software needed then ask show your firmware (driver disk with windows driverers) and that's it. I set up 3 completely different computers with different wifi cards and they all work perfect.

Beans
    Distro

Alright... looks like I had forgotten to put the Ubuntu CD in the drive when running ./ndiswrapper_setup..... after running it with the CD in there, wireless worked PERFECT!!!

I was so damn impressed with this because I had spent about 2 weeks on and off with a bucnh of different guides and this one fixed the problem so damn quick!

The 1 thing i noticed is that the link quality is pretty bad.... for example, I have an external wireless usb which gives me 100% quality (right beside the router) but with the BCM4318, i'm sitting around 60%.... what's the reason for this?

Page 179 of 199 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast