• I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 152 of 199 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1981

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Supertonic View Post
    I would like to share my efforts and processes that allowed me to come to my final, fully functional wireless (WPA) connection.
    Thanks - I too have a 64-bit system, a Broadcom wireless router, and am connecting to a network with WPA encryption. This guide worked great for me on a fresh install, and i couldn't be happier! Thank you for typing this out, you saved me a lot of trouble

- Poobslag

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Shotty Performance

Hey compwiz, thanks for replying. I am not at home so I cant give you the full list but I can tell you that ndiswrapper was among the updated. I got ahead of my self and started uninstalling ndiswrapper and hunting down older versions. All the older versions are not the same as the one I initially had working. I believe the one I had working was 1.8. The repos sent out an update to 1.9 and it has broke since then. Do you think this is the root cause as well? I will post the update history sometime tonight. Thanks so much for paying attention to my post.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great work.
    thanks. The script worked on a fresh install of kubuntu 7.04 on a HP paviliton DV1310us.

Beans

This worked for Ubuntu but not Kubuntu. How do I make it work on Kubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I found that this didn't work for me on Feisty amd64 but I got it working later by installing both the 32-bit and the 64-bit drivers on ndiswrapper. I think that's only required when you're running amd64 architecture. (Sorry if this is a duplicate, I didn't have time to reread all the pages).

Beans

Great help !
    I tried a few of the other hints, but none of them worked. This did. About the only problem I have is that if I turn the wi-fi hardware button 'off' I need to reboot to get it to turn back on... but I can live with that.
    Better than no wifi at all.

Thanks a bunch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay View Post
    Great help !
    I tried a few of the other hints, but none of them worked. This did. About the only problem I have is that if I turn the wi-fi hardware button 'off' I need to reboot to get it to turn back on... but I can live with that.
    Better than no wifi at all.

Thanks a bunch
    You might be able to turn it back on by running sudo rmmod ndiswrapper and then sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by firefeather View Post
    I found that this didn't work for me on Feisty amd64 but I got it working later by installing both the 32-bit and the 64-bit drivers on ndiswrapper. I think that's only required when you're running amd64 architecture. (Sorry if this is a duplicate, I didn't have time to reread all the pages).
    You would be the first person to suggest that

Interesting to know, although my 64bit install works with only the 64bit set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi Everyone!

I had lots of trouble with the "easy" method, it only marginally worked. and for some reason i couldn't get the second method to work every time, plus i really wanted to use CompWiz's WICD project. So, after a few days and CompWiz's help, I got WICD and my wireless working like a champ.

So to give back, here is a step by step guide to getting WICD and your Broadcom 4318 to work together.

I recommend saving this HTML page to your desk top before you do anything. Durring the part of the instructions you will be with out the internet for a few steps and you will probably want to be able to reference these instructions.

1) Start with a spanking fresh copy of Ubuntu 7.04.

2) Used your wire connection to get all your updates.

3) Go To http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=194573 and down load wICD (I used 1.2.9)to your desk top

4) Go to System > Preferences > Sessions. Uncheck Network Manager. This will stop it from being loaded when you boot up.

5) Time to remove Network manager and Network Manager Gnome. Open terminal window. Enter sudo aptitude remove network-manager.
    (You can also use the Synaptics Package Manager to remove Network Manager which will also remove Network Manager Gnome automatically.)

6) Reboot. This will stop the error messages about Network Manager.

7) After rebooting, install the wicd package you downloaded to your desktop.

8) Go to System > Preferences > Sessions
    Press "Add", call it WICD, enter /opt/wicd/tray-edgy.py
    The box for WICD should already be checked so it starts automatically.
    (When this is all done, you can come back and delete the Network Manager from sessions if you want to and if you like a tidy system)

9) Reboot. Now WICD will be running in the upper right corner where Network Manager was before.

10) Right click on the icon and select "connect". WICD manager will open asking for setting for your Wired connection. Normally, all you need to do is give this connection a name, like "Home-Wired". Hit Add. Then you can click connect.

11) You should now be connected via wire and can go back to broswing the Interenet.

12) Now to get the wireless working.
    Go to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102 (the first page of this thread)

13) Be sure to use the SECOND method (Dapper and Edgy (and Feisty with ndiswrapper)). I could NOT get it to work with the "easy" method

14) Follow CompWiz's instructions 1 through 6 exactly. (I cut and past his commands so there are no errors)

15) Your wireless light should be on now. Take out the Unbuntu Installation CD and reboot, unplugging your wired connection.

16) When you come back up, right click the WICD icon, select "connect". You should see your wireless access point (make sure you set your router to Broadcast your SSID, you can probably turn it off later, but it is lots easier if you broadcast for the intital set up)

17) Next to your SSID, there is a drop down arrow where you can set your settings, like encription (I use WEP). I DO NOT recommend setting "connect automatically" untill you have used it for a few days to be sure you are working good. Then click the blue connect button.

18) Broswe the internet, you are done.

A goat leads the lambs to slaughter......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

This worked great for me on an ASUS A6Km (z9200km) with a 64bit AMD Turion ML-40. I couldn't install wifi radar, so I used the network manager. The only problem I had was selecting the encryption. There's 3 selections for 128bit WEP (128 bit WEP, 128 bit WEP ASCII and 128 bit WEP HEX..) the default is the first one (doesn't specify ASCII or HEX maybe they want me to type all 128 bits in...), and with my password it didn't work. I selected the 128bit WEP ASCII and it worked for me.
    Last edited by goodtimetribe; June 11th, 2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added system details

Page 152 of 199 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast