19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 103 of 199 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1981

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

hmm i need to know how to make the the network manager to work its stand No Network Connection all the time even that internet works now with this perfect script

Beans

I have Gateway MX7515 Laptop. The script has worked for me. After running the script and configuring the network, I was able to get on the Internet. The only difference that I noticed between the XP and Ubuntu with regards to the wireless network is that on my laptop the LED for wireless network is always on in XP but is only on when in use in Ubuntu. Therefore don't be like me and try repeatetly turn on the wireless radio, it's probably already on.

Beans

Being a complete Ubuntu newb, I must say your instructions were very easy. Although I couldn't get the acer_acpi startup script to work, everything else works like a kitten on my Acer Travelmate 4400.

Many Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

A reboot and my wireless works just fine : D

Hurrah and thanks so much for the lovely script!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 HOWTO: Step by Step

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    Here are some compiled logical steps that I retrieved from several posts in this thread and a few other places regarding the identification, maintenance, and installation of wifi hardware and/or firmware:

Steps:

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Conventions:

UN = your user name
    CN = your computer's name.

Notes: = side-bar elaboratives to explain a step
    Warning: = Warnings are just that; you had better read them.

Tip:

You do not retype your UN@CN, just the code after
    the $.

UN@CN:~$ and UN@CN:~/Desktop$ are place holders merely
    referencing that you should see a prompt in the terminal's
    window where UN is your user account's name @ your computer's
    name, both of which were assigned when you installed and
    configured your Linux O.S. distro.

Warning: Do the steps in order and stick to the
    procedure, don't add any steps unless you know
    what it is that you are doing here.

1.)Open your terminal (obviously).

2.)UN@CN:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
    A.)Press the Return/Enter key

You should now see the following output return in your terminal's display:

0000:05:02.0 Network controller:Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g
    Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

If this is what your terminal command returns in the display you have nothing to worry about.

Proceed to the next step.

4.)UN@CN:~$ echo blacklist bcm43xx | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Your terminal will process the command and notify you that the 43xx driver file has been
    successfully 'blacklisted'.

Warning:
    This will 'blacklist' an older version of the 43 driver series known as 43xx, which is
    pre-installed with UBUNTU Dapper Drake and possibly other Debian based Linux Distros.
    The 43xx driver will conflict with some other drivers in the 43xx genre. A lot of problems
    concerning oddly behaving cards could have something to do with the exclusion of this
    step, so just do it!

It's better to be safe than sorry.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5.)If you haven't already done so, go ahead and move your 'bcm4318[1].tar.gz' package
    to your desktop (a.k.a.- shell, be it Gnome ,KDE; etc.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

6.)UN@CN:~$ cd /home/UN/Desktop

You should now see the following output return in your terminal's display:

UN@CN:~/Desktop$

This output is telling you that the Desktop directory is your active directory and all actions
    will be initiated starting at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Note: It works the same way a browser navigates through a web site.
    (Investigate this topic on your own as it is beyond the scope of this block of instruction.)

The UN@CN:~/Desktop$ is your new base directory that you will be working out of. It stream-
    lines the process of file access. If you are going to working with a lot of files on your
    desktop you make the Desktop your base directory and the terminal will assume on your behalf
    that you will be doing all of your work in the Desktop "directory." This saves you time, in
    that, you do not have to write out the complete file path to every object on your desktop, just
    a command of execution and the file that the command will take action(s) upon.

------------------------------------------------------------------

7.)UN@CN:~/Desktop$ tar -xf bcm4318[1].tar.gz

You should now see the output return in your terminal's display stating that the 'bcm4318[1].tar.gz'
    package is effectively being decompressed and extracted to the desktop. Once the terminal notifies you
    that the process of extraction was successfully completed and you see the prompt:

...proceed to the next step.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

8.)UN@CN:~/Desktop$ sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup

You will now witness the installation execution step by step as it is carried out automatically by the
    terminal. When the terminal returns a message stating that the installation was successfully completed
    you will be queried again with the terminal prompt:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

9.)System menu on your Desktop toolbar at the top of the screen,then:

Administration > Networking, click the wireless connection of the 'Connections' tab and click
    the 'Properties' button. Click the "Enable This Connection check Box Radio Button", set your
    ESSID id to the active network name that you will use to access your router for wifi, and set
    your configuration to DHCP to automatically obtain IP addresses, just like in Windows.

Warning:

Make sure that your wireless lan is activated, only after inspecting the properties of your
    wlan connection setup properties, this will prevent wasted time, stupid questions, and people
    feeling stupid for asking stupid questions because they didn't pay attention to detail.

Setting up WEP is simple, but you can consult your router's user/set-up documentation for the
    exact specifications of performing such a procedure.

A.)Click "OK"

...and wait for the process to complete the update to your configuration settings.

I have a Linksys 54G Wireless Router myself, and I use the router default for wifi which is
    "linksys," without the quotations, the ethernet ESSID is "Linksys."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

10.)Click "OK" of your "Network Settings" dialog window.

...and wait for the process to finalize your configuration settings.

11.) Open your browser and surf to a web page like Google.

Click the Google search text entry field, in the upper right corner of Firefox, and press
    the Retern/Enter key on your key-board and wait for Firefox to open Google's default
    Home Page.

Close your browser and proceed to the next step...

12.)UN@CN:~/Desktop$ ndiswrapper -l

Your terminal should return the following output in it's display:

bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present

At the terminal prompt:

13.)UN@CN:~/Desktop$ sudo -i
    B.)Key in your administrator password
    C.)Press the Return/Enter key

14.)UN@CN:~/Desktop# modprobe ndiswrapper

Now push the wifi network connect/disconnect button on your computer...

- it should come on/light up, or turn off as the case may be. If
    you turned it off, turn it back on now.

15.)UN@CN:~/Desktop# ifdown eth1

16.)UN@CN:~/Desktop# ifup eth1

17.)UN@CN:~/Desktop# dhclient

18.)UN@CN:~/Desktop# iwconfig
    B.)Verify that the output displays
    the correct settings for
    your wifi network.

19.)Close the Terminal utility, and browse/surf as desired.

indicis: compwiz18
    naught 101

P.S. Let me know how it works, as this will aid me in correcting and/or adding info to help out Compwiz18 in getting you all on-line effectively.

It worked perfectly fine for me. But at the very end (when the device and the driver were detected, I had to refer to this site http://ccsd.msoe.edu/faq/linux/Ubuntu.jsp?IDFaq=223 for the final step).

Thanks a lot. Your post helped me a lot

Adi

Beans

I guess I can say I had success with this. I have the card installed. I can type iwlist scan and it shows my router... i'm just unable to connect. I did install wifi radar and it is indeed much easier to setup the connect from there. unfortunately from a fresh reboot, when i click on connect from inside wifi radar it instantly tells me unable to aquire ip addres... any further connection attempts just sit at "please wait" indefinately until i reboot and i can get the "unable to acquire ip address" error again... BUT as a previous poster stated it was a success because my card is working... more or less. I'm actually having to type this from ... XP MCE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    I used this guide with my last Edgy install to get my wireless working...it was great.

However, I recently did a clean install, and now it doesn't work. I think I've narrowed it down to the reason: wireless doesn't even appear in the "system -> administration -> Networking" connections tab. It just, isn't there. I know I have the hardware, and when I run "lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation", I get my broadcom card, the same one that is being referred to in this tutorial. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help.
    I've been having the same problem. I followed the steps in the "how-to" guide which seemed to go ok. However, since that time the wireless option has been missing and I haven't been able to figure it out since. If you found out something in the meantime, please post it. Thanks.
    Homebrew desktop (Athlon XP 2800+, 80G/300G x2 HD's, 1.5G Ram, GeForce 7300GT, NEC ND-3550A optical drives x2, PCCHIPS M848A mb)
    Ubuntu "Gutsy"
    "Don't Die Wondering..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks a lot for this guide! My wireless light doesn't stay on all the time, like it did with Windows, but only comes on when data is being transferred. That threw me off for a bit. It works though!
    Love is like a flower, even the most beautiful kind dies. - Till Lindemann

Ubuntu#9198

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It feels so nice to be able to think clearly again... been down with da flu

Anyhow, I still havent gotten my wireless to work, I am having the same problem that augustus and win2mac2linux seem to be having with my card not showing up in networking...

I think I am going to try from a fresh install, as I am unsure at this point what sort of penguinstein I have going on with all the tweaking and reconfiguring I've been doing.

One interesting thing I came across in some of the other threads... it seems that HP may have tweaked the firmware on the 4318 chipset. From what I can tell, if you updated your driver software [edit:: in *******] , it may have also updated your firmware (and not even told you it did so)

Is there anyway to fix the firmware if thats the case?
    Last edited by wncben; January 19th, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: brain fart... lol

Beans

Re: HOWTO/SCRIPT: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz18 View Post
    If you are using 64bit Edgy Eft and the 2.6.17-10-generic, make sure you are NOT using the 2.6.17-10-generic kernel as it doesn't work (after running the script, you will be warned if there is a problem). If you need help finding a different kernel, check here.
    The 2.6.19-1 kernel doesn't include ndiswrapper.ko. I can't do anything with this kernel regarding ndiswrapper. Did I miss something?

Page 103 of 199 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast