Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Enable prelink

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Enable prelink

I wonder if it works for me. I haven't noticed any boost. Please check my log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrbass
    I do, however, recommend prelinking Openoffice as it'll cut down the load times in half.
    sudo apt-get install prelink
    sudo /usr/sbin/oooprelink -f
    I've tried to prelink openoffice and I don't get any startup time improvement (sorry, no measures). Perhaps it's because of my slow hd (I'm running ubuntu on a laptop).

SnOp

Beans

I'm trying the prelink stuff now..but I've got some questions though:

* Does the openoffice prelink have to be run in addition to the /etc/cron.daily/prelink one, or is it included in it?

* If my computer crashes or something during a prelink session, will Bad Stuff happen?

* If I want to uninstall it later, can I just use synaptic or is there something else that needs to be done first, to "unprelink"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibird
    I'm trying the prelink stuff now..but I've got some questions though:

* Does the openoffice prelink have to be run in addition to the /etc/cron.daily/prelink one, or is it included in it?

* If my computer crashes or something during a prelink session, will Bad Stuff happen?

* If I want to uninstall it later, can I just use synaptic or is there something else that needs to be done first, to "unprelink"?
    1. No -- oooprelink just prelinks Openoffice (quicker than full prelink). Full prelink prelinks EVERYTHING, including OOo.

2. Nothing bad will happen. Prelink writes its files in a "libname.#PRELINK" format temp file before overwriting the original. Assuming you have an atomic or journaling filesystem (Ext3, XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, Reiser4, etc etc etc), a file will either be prelinked or not, with no semi-prelinked stage in between

3. You should read the man page for Prelink, specifically the "Undo" option
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Prelinking Openoffice worked great, much faster loading now! (about 2x )

Cheers

Beans

nice

I had used prelink in gentoo and it made load times a lot faster. Nice how-to.

I edited the /etc/default/prelink file and changed

PRELINK_OPTS=-mR
    to
    PRELINK_OPTS=-avmfR

then ran "prelink -avmfR"
    kernel 3.2.7 | github | blog

Beans

I prelinked OOo on my system about a month or two ago. Recently I started seeing errors like the ones I've quoted at the foot of this post when running the Ubuntu update application - I guess this was because the updater had installed a newer version of OpenOffice.org-bin and I hadn't forced prelink to run again before the next update to OpenOffice.org-bin.

Here are the steps I went through to fix it:

1) reinstalled OpenOffice using Synaptic
    2) disabled all prelinking in Ubuntu (prelink state was 'Unknown' in /etc/default/prelink, so I changed it to no and ran 'sudo prelink -ua' to effect the change)
    3) another OOo reinstall - still broken
    4) disabled OOo prelinking using 'sudo /usr/sbin/oooprelink -f'
    5) another OOo reinstall - still broken
    6) someone's web suggested uninstall first and then reinstall of OOo - this also didn't fix it
    7) read through some files and found reference to a file '/var/state/openoffice/ooo_is_prelinked' and deleted it
    8) reinstalled OOo successfully!

All of the above MAY have been unnecessary if I'd just re-pre-linked OOo; I'm not sure. Anyway, it looks as if for some reason, the scripts which manage and check the state of '/var/state/openoffice/ooo_is_prelinked' aren't always doing their thing.

As an aside, does anyone know how much (if any) prelinking is configured after a standard Ubuntu install? From some comments on this thread it would seem there is none, but I want to be sure.

Here are the errors I was seeing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic Errors
    E: openoffice.org-bin: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    E: openoffice.org-gtk-gnome: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    E: openoffice.org: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Setting up openoffice.org-bin (1.1.3-8ubuntu2.3) ...
    Undoing prelinking of OpenOffice.org binaries... run-parts: /usr/share/openoffice.org-debian-files/hooks/postinst.d/prelink exited with return code 1
    dpkg: error processing openoffice.org-bin (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Beans

awesome.... Thanks for this HOWTO.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Note that this has a far more profound impact on KDE than on Gnome, as I remember from my Gentoo days.

EDIT: Okay just put it in for the first time in Ubuntu. It is every bit as effective as as it was on Gentoo. It makes a HUGE difference on my machine. I think it makes a bigger difference on slower machines (such as mine).

Konqueoror takes about one fifth of a second to start up after it's already in the cache, whereas before it took two full seconds even after being in the cache.
    Last edited by Rinnan; July 8th, 2005 at 10:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Is there a way to edit the /etc/default/prelink file to include a nice setting.
    It seems to run at a default NI level of 19 and I'd like to knock that down some.

Seems like it would go in the PRELINK_OPTS but I'm not sure of the format.
    Everybody can be great because everybody can serve.
    You only need a heart of grace. A soul generated by love.

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Help A Child Today

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast