Thread: Safe 12.04 install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Safe 12.04 install?

I have struggled getting 12.04 installed. I'm doing a fresh install replacing 10.10. I have tried this twice and each time when all was finished I got a black screen. This time I downloaded the 12.04 ISO via bit torrent, and burned a DVD which all checked out. Now, I'm ready to try another fresh installation. I can still go back to 10.10 if this one fails but I'm getting mighty tired of going back and forth. Does anybody want to venture a guess as to whether this one will be successful?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Safe 12.04 install?

I would recommend trying to run it as a live CD to check out stuff like that first, before busting into the full install.

I had a problem with a blank screen after boot on 11.10 and adding nomodeset to my boot options got me to a usable desktop.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

billyseth. . . thanks for the info. I tried to install 12.04, and, of course, it didn't work. I'll try you solution though I'm not sure I can execute them since I am not too smart when it comes to manipulating these things.

Beans
    Hidden!

10.10 reached end-of-life and no longer supported.

Have you tried 12o4 without installing? Or maybe you would have better luck using the "Alternate Install CD".

Could also try Xubuntu if your computer is not up to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I cannot get the 12.04 to boot, so I can't try it in any form. I trying to install it on an Acer laptop with 4GB DDR3 memory and an Intel Pentium processor T4500. Very frustrating.

Beans

When you first boot Ubuntu, hold down a SHIFT key to get a GRUB menu. IF you see an entry their for Older Kernel versions, select that. If you have a kernel version of 3.2.0-23, select that.

I've found the selecting the newest kernel does not boot on my PC, but selecting an older kernel does.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.