Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Courier IMAP issues after Precise upgrade

Beans

Re: Courier IMAP issues after Precise upgrade

Only lasted 11 minutes after removing gamin before the dreaded closed connection.

Does anyone have any further ideas or any success in solving this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

No fix, unfortunately, but I am having the same problem. I first noticed it with my iPhone not being able to get mail. Then a couple hours later, it's my mail client that can't get it. Then Squirrelmail. This is a very lightly used server too, and I know that nobody else has been using webmail.

Postfix
    Courier-IMAP.

I can always SEND mail just fine. Postfix is completely unaffected.

Here's what my logs look like, regardless of the device that's connecting:

May 2 22:11:24 heap imapd-ssl: Connection, ip=[::ffff:214.157.157.101]
    May 2 22:11:25 heap imapd-ssl: LOGIN: ip=[::ffff:214.157.157.101], command=LOGIN
    May 2 22:11:25 heap imapd-ssl: LOGIN: ip=[::ffff:214.157.157.101], username=redacted@redacted.net
    May 2 22:11:43 heap imapd-ssl: Connection, ip=[::ffff:214.157.157.101]
    May 2 22:11:45 heap imapd-ssl: LOGIN: ip=[::ffff:214.157.157.101], command=LOGIN
    May 2 22:11:45 heap imapd-ssl: LOGIN: ip=[::ffff:214.157.157.101], username=redacted@redacted.net

I can tail the log and see the device trying to log in, but I don't get anything from it.

Mine worked longer than a few hours though.. it has been about 30 hours since I finished the 12.04 update.

Also to note that this exact same setup has worked flawless for 5 years now. I also had zero problems with 11.10.

I have disabled ipv6 entirely. I was having problems with it elsewhere. We'll see if that works.

Beans

Here's a list of what's accessing IMAP. It may be worth checking to see if we have any commanalities;

Evolution
    Android Mail
    Squirrel Mail
    Mutt
    Perl scripts using Mail::IMAPClient
    Last edited by potatochip; May 3rd, 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Beans

After a bit more investigation it seems as though gamin is back on my system after I uninstalled it.

I noticed during the gamin uninstall that it uninstalled all the courier packages and also apachetop.

After reinstalling courier I also reinstalled apachetop and didn't notice that part of the apachetop installation unistalls fam and reistalls gamin.

This is probably my problem. Once again I'll feedback on if this has fixed it.

Beans

Wladimir Mutel already noticed this:

"courier-imap has hardcoded dependency on gamin which asks to remove fam
    when courier packages are reinstalled."

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/890756

I don't think you can get rid of this, unless you compile from source yourself. I am not really familiar with strace, reporting/reopening a bug would be our best chance I think.

Beans

So far so good.

It looks like courier works fine with fam. What you need to do is;

sudo apt-get purge gamin
    sudo apt-get install fam
    sudo apt-get install courier-pop-ssl courier-imap-ssl courier-ssl courier-pop courier-imap courier-base

Make sure you don't accidently reinstall gamin as I did by installing apachetop!

Is there a way to blacklist a package so it doesn't get installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

The following NEW packages will be installed:
    courier-base{a} courier-imap{a} courier-imap-ssl courier-ssl{a} gamin{ab} libgamin0{a}
    0 packages upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/534 kB of archives. After unpacking 1,727 kB will be used.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    gamin : Conflicts: fam but 2.7.0-17 is installed.
    The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
    1) fam

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

---

d'oh. Fortunately, it gives an option. It will then allow you to install libfam and continue on.

I now have courier (re)installed, and we'll see what happens.

Beans

Hey pot_roast how did you install courier? I didn't get asked to uninstall fam when I reinstalled the courier packages.

My mail is still working about eight hours later so looking good so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I try to stick to aptitude for consistency sake.

It's been a couple hours and I can still get mail. So maybe this worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't had mine go down yet since I restarted the server two days ago.
    I'm running postfix and courier with ssl only authentication. User logins and forwardings are stored in mysql.

Code:
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 imapd-ssl: Connection, ip=[::ffff:205.201.126.66]
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 authdaemond: received auth request, service=imap, authtype=login
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 authdaemond: authmysql: trying this module
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 authdaemond: SQL query: SELECT email, "", password, 999, 999, "/var/vmail", CONCAT(SUBSTRING_INDEX(email,'@',-1),'/',SUBSTRING_INDEX(email,'@',1),'/'), quota, "", "" FROM users WHERE email = 'credomane@somewhere' 
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 authdaemond: authmysql: sysusername=<null>, sysuserid=999, sysgroupid=999, homedir=/var/vmail, address=credomane@somewhere, fullname=<null>, maildir=somewhere/credomane/, quota=10485760, options=<null>
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 authdaemond: authmysql: clearpasswd=StopLookingAtMyPassword, passwd=<null>
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 authdaemond: Authenticated: sysusername=<null>, sysuserid=999, sysgroupid=999, homedir=/var/vmail, address=credomane@somewhere, fullname=<null>, maildir=somewhere/credomane/, quota=10485760, options=<null>
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 authdaemond: Authenticated: clearpasswd=StopLookingAtMyPassword, passwd=<null>
    May  3 16:11:23 srv1 imapd-ssl: LOGIN, user=credomane@somewhere, ip=[::ffff:205.201.126.66], port=[60896], protocol=IMAP
    Sadly the is the most I seem to be getting from the logging I have enabled. I'll let things run for a week before I turn the logging off again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast