Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI R6XX HDMI audio not working

Beans

ATI R6XX HDMI audio not working

Hey,

So I'm running Precise Pangolin 12.04 64-bit, everything's looking good but I can't output audio through the HDMI port. This works in Windows, so I assume it's a driver issue. The HDMI device itself isn't visible in ubuntu's Sound Settings, but I can see the device in alsamixer. I can also see it if I run aplay -l, lspci, or lsmod.

However when I do go to the device's alsamixer configurations, all I can see is one box marked S/PDIF with value [00]. I can mute and unmute it, but I can't change the value. There are no other controls for the device.

I've also tried to output straight to the alsa device from vlc, or with aplay, but that also hasn't worked.

It's a strange problem because the driver seems to recognize the output device and the proper modules are loaded, but I can't seem to unmute the device and get the audio to work.

Beans

Re: ATI R6XX HDMI audio not working

Solved it. Turns out the solution is quite simple. You need to set a kernel flag for:

radeon.audio=1

For anyone who's encountered the same problem, you can do this by pressing 'e' in GRUB on your ubuntu boot option, and adding the above line somewhere.

Otherwise you can edit the entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg although I would recommend reading up on grub before you break something.

Beans

Is this as simple as just adding that line anywhere in grub.cfg or is there more to it?

Beans

sikemo, I put the instructions in youre thread, but I'll echo them here in case someone comes across this in a search:

For open-source HDMI audio, you'll need to add radeon.audio=1 (inside the quotes next to "quiet splash") to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in /etc/default/grub and then run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Otherwise you can edit the entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg...
    DO NOT edit that file directly (as it warns you).

Beans

Had the same problem using Ubuntu with my AMD A6-3500 APU and Asrock A55M motherboard, HDMI works but no sound.

confirmed that this fix works for me, thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Someone should change the status of this thread to RESOLVED. ( #ADMINS PLEASE NOTE )

I would like to confirm this as working.

Goto Launcher > Terminal

Code:
    SUDO NAUTILUS
    Navigate yourself to /boot/grub/grub.cfg right click edit in Texteditor ...

Find your usual boot option usually the first entry in grub

when you find something like insert the line radeon.audio=1 as shown in bold. ( PS don't copy the full code )
    Code:
    fi
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-25-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff radeon.audio=1
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-25-generic
    f unsure use the at boot time method mentioned above....
    After Endless Roots and Hackintosh, I have stopped flaunting my Medals. That doesn't mean I don't like the fight; but I do for the Kick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jskandhari View Post
    Someone should change the status of this thread to RESOLVED. ( #ADMINS PLEASE NOTE )

I would like to confirm this as working.

Goto Launcher > Terminal

Code:
    SUDO NAUTILUS
    Navigate yourself to /boot/grub/grub.cfg right click edit in Texteditor ...

Find your usual boot option usually the first entry in grub

when you find something like insert the line radeon.audio=1 as shown in bold. ( PS don't copy the full code )
    Code:
    fi
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-25-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff radeon.audio=1
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-25-generic
    f unsure use the at boot time method mentioned above....
    there are two sets of code that are similar to your code snippet in grub.cfg, which line(s) do you edit? just one of them or both?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by webdesigncompanyla View Post
    there are two sets of code that are similar to your code snippet in grub.cfg, which line(s) do you edit? just one of them or both?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12337464

that didn't answer the question, try reading

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by webdesigncompanyla View Post
    that didn't answer the question, try reading
    Yes, it did. It tells you not to edit grub.cfg at all (use /etc/default/grub as directed instead). Sorry, but I can't make it any clearer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast