Thread: Lost digital photos-need help in trying to recover

Beans

Exclamation Lost digital photos-need help in trying to recover

I am trying to recover lost photos from a digital camera. I downloaded Photorec but I do not know how to install it.

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptap with Lubuntu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a reminder, I am not computer savvy. Thanks
    Last edited by oldos2er; February 3rd, 2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: please use the default font

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Lost digital photos-need help in trying to recover

How are the digital photos stored with the camera? Inside the camera's internal memory? In a micro-SD card inserted into the camera?

If they were stored on an SD card, they most probably used a Windows-compatible format like .jpg.

My own experience has been that Windows utilities are best at recovering data from corrupted Windows files; Linux, from corrupted Linux files.

If you have a way to use an adapter to plugin the SD card to a Windows PC, you can try downloading and installing the trial version of RecoverMyFiles from Runtime software on that PC. Run that in deepest discovery mode to see what it finds. If it finds the files, it will let you view them -- but not save them. IF they look OK, you can purchase a license and then save the recovered files.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

If you can mount the drive in Linux, Google up applications 'scalpel' and 'foremost' (both apt-get-able). They are similar, simple, and have worked well for me.

Beans

thank you for your suggestions-you both gave me ideas that I hadn't thought of.

I have to learn as I go along. My first time with Linux. I have one desktop that has Windows on it so I will try recovering from my camera first. Hopefully I will be able to get the photos back.