Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HP-DV7 w/ Beats Audio speakers not working

Beans

Re: HP-DV7 w/ Beats Audio speakers not working

Are you wishing or confirming? Please be more specific my friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by wegah View Post
    wish this turn everything well.

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv7-4000

This does not work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wegah View Post
    wish this turn everything well.

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv7-4000
    I just wanted to confirm that I just tried this with my HP dv7 and it worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith1987 View Post
    I just wanted to confirm that I just tried this with my HP dv7 and it worked for me.
    Is your problem exactly as mine? Only two of the 5 speakers work?

There's a common confusion with these Beats audio threads where people start talking about their Mic and Headphones jacks don't work but That's not my DV7's issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sxynerd View Post
    Is your problem exactly as mine? Only two of the 5 speakers work?

There's a common confusion with these Beats audio threads where people start talking about their Mic and Headphones jacks don't work but That's not my DV7's issue.
    I have a different dv7 model apparently. I only have 2 speakers and a subwoofer. The above command worked with mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Anyone have any luck with 12.10? I have a dv6z-7000 (AMD Trinity) and put Kubuntu 12.10 on it. I previously had 12.04 and the model=ref got me subwoofer and broke headphones. Now I get nothing from model=ref at all, just 2 speakers with working headphones (headphones switches off 2 main speakers when plugged in).

Here is my alsa-info:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3c...662841ab2b29c0

Beans

I also have a dv-7 w/ beats audio. With Ubuntu 12.10 I have gotten the 4.0 surround sound to work, but no subwoofer. I was on the other hand playing with /etc/pulse/system.pa and default.pa by adding lines to remap the speakers. Got a little bit of luck with it, but couldn't get the mapping correct. I am still trying though. If you would like to test what speaker channel is what, then open terminal and type
    Code:
    speaker-test -c5 -l1 -twav
    It will play once through all of your channels as a 5 channel audio setup. If you would like to keep it playing more than once so you can hear exactly what is what, then type this into terminal
    Code:
    speaker-test -t wav -c 5
    In order to stop the playback, just hit Control + C. Here is the code that I am working with within the pulseaudio wrapper:
    Code:
                                       # Definition of standard sink
    load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=standard device=hw:0 channels=5 channel_map=front-left,front-center,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,
     # Remapping Function
    load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=remapped_sound master=standard channels=5 master_channel_map=front-left,front-center,front-right,rear-left,rear-right channel_map=front-left,rear-left,front-right,front-center,rear-right
     # Setting Default to your new re-mapped sink
    # (should match the "sink_name" in line 2)
    set-default-sink remapped_sound
    Basically what I am trying to do is to get the pusleaudio-sink to remap to the alsa-base-sink. Hopefully I can get this working and post a working config file for all with beats audio. Don't worry though, I am working hard on it and trying to get it configured. There are a few other steps that I have taken like muting out a couple of lines within the system.pa and default.pa files that allows this remapping to be done.

One thing though is that if you have upgraded to the latest Alsa Audio for your distrobution, or even by compiling it yourself, then you should already have the surround sound 4.0 listed in sound properties under the hardware tab.

Hope this helps someone and I will post back with more results. Just hope that Conical gets with the times since it has been over 3 years since the stac92xx chipset came about and still nothing has been implemented for it.
    Last edited by lunerceli; January 10th, 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: mistype

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I figured it out, and have posted in my other thread on this topic.

See here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...14&postcount=2

You need to install hda-jack-retask and retask some of the jacks for PulseAudio. It's pretty easy, and it holds across reboots. Should work regardless of what Ubuntu release you're on, I'm on 12.10. This worked for my dv6z-7000 but if it doesn't work for other models play around with the configurations a bit and figure out which channels are which speakers, then post it. I started by setting all of them to "Internal Speakers" and turning them off to pinpoint each channel, then setting them to the correct values.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
    I figured it out, and have posted in my other thread on this topic.

See here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...14&postcount=2

You need to install hda-jack-retask and retask some of the jacks for PulseAudio. It's pretty easy, and it holds across reboots. Should work regardless of what Ubuntu release you're on, I'm on 12.10. This worked for my dv6z-7000 but if it doesn't work for other models play around with the configurations a bit and figure out which channels are which speakers, then post it. I started by setting all of them to "Internal Speakers" and turning them off to pinpoint each channel, then setting them to the correct values.
    I have a HP dv7-7102ea and my system is Linux Mint 14 (Ubuntu 12.10). It has the exact same sound card as your computer and your fix worked brilliantly with all speakers working (except for the 0x0f pin which had to be labeled internal speaker (back) so not a big problem), so firstly thanks for your fix!

Secondly, after using this fix all my sound settings went completely wrong. If I go into the normal sound settings (not alsa) I can select the 4.1 surround but I can't test any of the speakers and I can only treat them as stereo with the subwoofer considered as part of the left channel. The story is similar with alsamixer. I'm not overly worried about the lack of surround since all the speakers are placed at the front so it makes little/no difference treating them as surround. What I am unsure about is not being able to test the speakers. Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think the speaker wiring is the same but the actual placement varies. On my laptop, the main speakers are above the keyboard, the secondary speakers are in the center below the screen, and the sub is on the bottom. They're not really "surround" in this case. I tried setting them to "Internal speakers (back)" and the main speakers to "Internal speakers" but for some reason the subwoofer wouldn't work with this configuration.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast