Thread: Monitor for a process (not-running yet) and see who it is running as

Beans

Question Monitor for a process (not-running yet) and see who it is running as

This is more of a general linux question, but it applies to an Ubuntu Server running 12.04 (in this case). If you are impatient, skip to the big, bold, red text below for the direct question.

I'm having a problem with permissions for png files being served by apache. The files are being created by the program /usr/bin/dot, but they are zero bytes, which implies to me that the user running /usr/bin/dot doesn't have proper permissions to write to the files.

Here's the problem. /usr/bin/dot is being run by bugzilla for a fraction of a second. I don't know what user it is running /usr/bin/dot as. Without knowing that, I cannot fix the permissions for the directory or add permissions to the user.

How do I monitor for a process that isn't running, and log the details about the process once it does run (especically the user and group it is running as)?

Beans

Re: Monitor for a process (not-running yet) and see who it is running as

I might have figure out a way:

I wrote a small bash script and named it /usr/bin/mydot and gave it permissions 766:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "/usr/bin/dot run as $(whoami)" 1>>/tmp/dotrun.log 2>>dotrun.err
    /usr/bin/dot $*
    I then ran:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    touch dotrun.log
    touch dotrun.err
    chmod 666 dotrun.log
    chmod 666 dotrun.err
    I then configured bugzilla to run /usr/bin/mydot instead of /usr/bin/dot.

I ran:
    Code:
    sudo -u ftp mydot test
    It logged:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/dot run as ftp
    I then tried to get bugzilla to run "mydot", and my log now looks like this:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/dot run as ftp
    /usr/bin/dot run as
    /usr/bin/dot run as
    Notice the last two lines don't show the user, so it didn't work.

Anybody got a better way?
    Last edited by chriv; May 1st, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Beans

I got it to work. I had to explicitly give the full path of whoami to get it to work. I got a little aggressive with my script, so here is what /usr/bin/mydot looks like now:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "/usr/bin/dot run as $(/usr/bin/whoami) according to whoami" 1>> /tmp/dotrun.log 2>> /tmp/dotrun.err
    echo "/usr/bin/dot run as $(/usr/bin/id -u -n) according to id -u -n" 1>> /tmp/dotrun.log 2>> /tmp/dotrun.err
    echo "/usr/bin/dot run as $USER according to environment variable" 1>> /tmp/dotrun.log 2>> /tmp/dotrun.err
    /usr/bin/dot $*
    whoami and id -u -n worked. The USER environment variable did not.

Beans

P.S. It turns out the actual problem was a bad distro version of graphviz. I compiled graphviz from scratch and dot worked perfectly.

If anyone knows of a way to monitor for a process that isn't running (and log it when it does), I would appreciate knowing what it is.

My workaround script is kind of a hack, but it did allow me to find out who the user running dot was.