Thread: 10.4 to 10.10

Beans

10.4 to 10.10

Hello I'm new to ubuntu and I was trying to update it to 10.10 and then power cut and when I tried to re-boot my pc it wouldn't load.

it loaded up the ubuntu page with the red and white lights but would go no further or would show just a black screen, with a white _.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Beans

Re: 10.4 to 10.10

Why are you upgrading to 10.10? It is no longer supported. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was just released and will be supported for 5 years. If you're going to go through the trouble you might as well upgrade to something that is supported (and will be for a while).

If it were my system I'd copy important data to another disk and do a clean install of 12.04 LTS. Then copy back whatever files you want to keep to the new install. Do you have another machine you can use in the process?

Beans

Yes I have a laptop I am using now, although I am not sure how to do what you say above, there isn't any important data on the machine because its new so i hadn't had time to transfer the files across yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If your install was interrupted like that, you most likely need to do a fresh install. You can try to mount the drive and recover your files, but in the end you will need to reinstall the operating system. Now that 10.10 is not supported you need to download a newer ISO.

Beans

If you have nothing on the machine you want to keep just install 12.04 LTS from scratch.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    If your install was interrupted like that, you most likely need to do a fresh install. You can try to mount the drive and recover your files, but in the end you will need to reinstall the operating system. Now that 10.10 is not supported you need to download a newer ISO.

how would I do that?

I can't access the computer to update it and when I put the disc in it won't seem to boot from the disc
    Last edited by Das Wanderer; May 1st, 2012 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it won't boot from the disc then you have bigger issues...corrupted download of the ISO or a bad burn? Even with the bad install you have you should be able to boot the live CD. Did you verify the bios is set to read the CD/DVD first?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Exclamation Re: 10.4 to 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    Why are you upgrading to 10.10? It is no longer supported. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was just released and will be supported for 5 years. If you're going to go through the trouble you might as well upgrade to something that is supported (and will be for a while).

If it were my system I'd copy important data to another disk and do a clean install of 12.04 LTS. Then copy back whatever files you want to keep to the new install. Do you have another machine you can use in the process?
    Ubuntu 10.10 is supported until April of 2013
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    Ubuntu 10.10 is supported until April of 2013
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    That's a typographical error. Support just ended in April. Note the "End of Life" section further down the page that shows 10.10 as the top item.