Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Device not ready' state to all of my network adapters

Beans

Angry 'Device not ready' Message to D-Link DFE-580TX Wired Network Adapters.

Hi all,

Strangely that my 3 Quad port network adapters can be recognised when I write the 'ifconfig' command, but they all seem to be in 'Device not ready' state when I click on the networking tab at the toolbar (please see pictures below).

At the 'System Setting' they all seem to be recognised but again, their state doesn't change when I plug a network cable into them.

Could anybody advise if there is a solution to this problem? I'm a new Linux user (Have been using it for the past month).

The network adapters I have are the D-Link DFE-580TX.

From the Toolbar menu, it says that it's a 'Wired Network (D-Link DL 10050 Sundance Ethernet).

Thank you all.

Last edited by Mesopotamia; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Better Subject Title

Beans

Re: 'Device not ready' state to all of my network adapters

Anybody?

Beans

Just to complement my post above, the cards work fine on the Ubuntu 11.10 but not the 12.04.

Could you guys help?

Beans

That many viewers and nobody could help me where to start looking

Today's bump..

Beans

Anybody ?

Beans

Bump.

Beans

Bump.

Beans

I had a similar problem with a D-link DFE-550TX NIC. Network Manager reported a "Device not Ready" regardless if a ran the Live CD or installed the alternate version of Ubuntu 12.04 (Regular CD install crashed with the error: "The installer encountered an unrecoverable error"). IFCONFIG showed network device with no apparent IPV4 addresses and LSPCI showed my NIC using the Sundance driver.

What worked for me was to either disable or uninstall the Network Manager and configure my network setting in the /etc/network/interfaces file. Uninstalling Network Manager did the trick, but it also caused system error messages to pop up every once in a while. The second time I tried just disabling it and haven't had a problem yet.

There are other posts that step through disabling Network Manager and setting up network devices in the interfaces file. If you want me to step through what worked for me, Let me know ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dpm41 View Post
    I had a similar problem with a D-link DFE-550TX NIC. Network Manager reported a "Device not Ready" regardless if a ran the Live CD or installed the alternate version of Ubuntu 12.04 (Regular CD install crashed with the error: "The installer encountered an unrecoverable error"). IFCONFIG showed network device with no apparent IPV4 addresses and LSPCI showed my NIC using the Sundance driver.

What worked for me was to either disable or uninstall the Network Manager and configure my network setting in the /etc/network/interfaces file. Uninstalling Network Manager did the trick, but it also caused system error messages to pop up every once in a while. The second time I tried just disabling it and haven't had a problem yet.

There are other posts that step through disabling Network Manager and setting up network devices in the interfaces file. If you want me to step through what worked for me, Let me know ...
    Thanks for that. I set up my account to send me an email once someone replies, but it never did!

I will try and install 12.04 during the weekend and see if disabling or uninstalling Network Manager would help.

Thanks again mate

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dpm41 View Post

I've got some good and bad news here.

I finally installed 12.04 again and the 'device not ready' remained unchanged.

Once I typed the following command, NetworkManager was able to actually identify all three NIC:

Code:
    sudo killall -9 NetworkManager
    I'm not too sure what have been causing this problem, but from what I could see is that the Network Manager MAY have been loaded before the kernel identifies the NIC!

I'm not an expert, but it looks like killing the application AFTER booting the OS has fixed the issue.

Anybody care to clarify why this is happening? Is there a permanent solution given that the NIC work fine with 11.10?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast