Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Give me one reason why GNU is still developing Hurd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Give me one reason why GNU is still developing Hurd

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    But it's rather broadly accepted that the microkernel model is just better than the monolithic kernel strategy.
    Not unless they've solved the messaging latency inherent in microkernels.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Is there currently a FOSS kernel out there with a microkernel design? HURD is a microkernel, with a unique design. It's possible that someday the monolithic kernel approach will fail to scale (or at least be inappropriate for a given application), and won't it be nice to have a readily available microkernel to drop in and go?
    This. They feel it is a better design than the current kernels... simple as that.

That being said I think Linux is doing a damn fine job and Hurd is a long way out from being usable on the desktop IMO.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    ...and one of the world's biggest mysteries is solved. (others include aliens, ghosts, JB fans,...)
    Becuase its hurd to build
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Is Hurd so mature that it is possible to use it as a more or less functional system?
    As far as I know, you would have to have a pretty generic type setup for it to be compatible. No thanks, it's too plain to have any practical use for me.

Beans

I don't see anywhere -- even on the HURD project site -- that it's suggested that HURD is faster, more stable, or provides a better user experience than Linux or BSD. It's just a different design for a kernel, one that some developers find interesting and want to hack on. One that may one day prove to be more applicable to some technology stack than Linux. Or may not.

Who knows where technology is heading? 5 years ago most of you would have wondered why anyone bothered to keep up an ARM port of Linux, since x86 was so obviously the only platform that mattered. Now ARM is the next big thing, and other OS vendors are scrambling to support it. Linux is already there. Not because someone had a crystal ball and knew that ARM would be the next big platform, but because some people (for whatever reasons) were "wasting their time" maintaining a port to some obscure platform.

Be happy that people are hacking on HURD, or plan 9, or AROS, haiku, Syllable, etc. They aren't competing with Linux, they're enriching FOSS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Is there currently a FOSS kernel out there with a microkernel design
    Minix is about as close as I can see. Version 3 isn't really feature complete for desktop use, but it does present a useable desktop OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post
    With that answered, maybe we can try and figure out why emacs is still being developed when vi is so awesome. We don't need both Chrome and Firefox, either. And why are there so many obscure window managers...
    Because emacs and vi are not the same. Chrome and Firefox are not the same. But Hurd wants to do what Linux has already done 10 years ago: A kernel for the GNU project, a free/libre operating system.

I support competition, but with GNU already adopting Linux AND still working on Hurd (for 20 freakin' years), it's the same as using cars and still working on horse chariots.
    Quote Originally Posted by szymon_g View Post
    because they have a plenty of spare time- so they can do whatever they want with it.
    Convinced

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123