Thread: Upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 using LiveCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 using LiveCD

Hi,

Anyone try this yet? Is their system still usable?

Thanks,
    CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 using LiveCD

I always do a fresh install, but many have upgraded. Looks like a mixed bag if you go through forum posts for the last few days. Lots of failed upgrades posted, but that could be for many various reasons so it's impossible to predict if it will work well ahead of time. I've only upgraded once and I made a backup of everything first. Took a long time so I now just save my files, do a fresh install and then copy my files back. Saves hours of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 using LiveCD

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    Hi,

Anyone try this yet? Is their system still usable?

Thanks,
    CH
    That's not a normal upgrade path. To go from 10.10 to 12.04 would mean doing each intermediate upgrade along the way. The jump from 10.04 to 12.04 does not currently work yet using the alternate install disc as upgrader.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by skellat View Post
    That's not a normal upgrade path. To go from 10.10 to 12.04 would mean doing each intermediate upgrade along the way. The jump from 10.04 to 12.04 does not currently work yet using the alternate install disc as upgrader.
    @skellat

I don't think so, I think that the way it used to be. But by inserting the LiveCD, it gives one the option of upgrading from 10.04, 10.10, 11.04. and 11.10 directly to 12.04.

Or...Is the the LiveCD going to go through the incremental path (10.10=>11.04=>11.10=>12.04)?

Several people have already tried the 11.04 to 12,04 path and its somewhat worked.

- CH
    Last edited by frogotronic; May 5th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    I always do a fresh install, but many have upgraded. Looks like a mixed bag if you go through forum posts for the last few days. Lots of failed upgrades posted, but that could be for many various reasons so it's impossible to predict if it will work well ahead of time. I've only upgraded once and I made a backup of everything first. Took a long time so I now just save my files, do a fresh install and then copy my files back. Saves hours of time.
    In my opinion a fresh install is the way to go. I've tried upgrading (in smaller steps) before, and it has always turned out to be more work.

I suppose the only value in the upgrade feature is that you don't have to back up and restore. You can get around this with the right partitioning/allocation using fresh install as well. Backups are always good though

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    Several people have already tried the 11.04 to 12,04 path and its somewhat worked.
    Could you please elaborate on that further?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

10.10 is end of released, you have to use a specific method just to get to 11.04, I would not do it myself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

If you decide to, clone 10.10 first, or back up what you can't loose, to be covered if it fails. Personally I never upgrade I like my OS clean and fresh.

clonezilla.org

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 using LiveCD

Last edited by frogotronic; May 22nd, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    10.10 is end of released, you have to use a specific method just to get to 11.04, I would not do it myself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

If you decide to, clone 10.10 first, or back up what you can't loose, to be covered if it fails. Personally I never upgrade I like my OS clean and fresh.

clonezilla.org
    @wilee-nilee

That information appears to be out-of-date. When one puts a 12.04 LTS LiveCD into a machine with 10.10 installed and reboots (boots off of the LiveCD); one gets the following prompt (see attached image). My questions are VERY simple. Has anyone tried this, and did it do straight upgrade from 10.10 => 12.04 and did it result in a working system?

Thanks,
    CH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I just upgraded a computer from 10.04 to 12.04 using the upgrade option the live CD provided when noticing ubuntu 10.04 was already installed.
    A few software had to be reinstalled manually, but so far it's running fine. Compared to another machine that I upgraded from 11.10 (using ubuntu, not the live cd) I haven't had much problems. On that latter machine I ended up with many system errors popping up, most likely because it had much more tweaks/ppa added compared to the one I just upgraded with the live CD.
    So globally I'd say if you haven't tweaked too much your system and only installed software from the official repos, then the live cd upgrade should be fine.
    As always, make a backup of your system, just in case!!!