Thread: Testing Ubuntu Desktop Next [hard install] feedback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Testing Ubuntu Desktop Next [hard install] feedback

Updates rolling in , log on becoming even smoother and some apps now loading readily. Even an Ubuntu Feedback app directly to NickSkaggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyQLLpXt6s
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Testing Ubuntu Desktop Next [hard install] feedback

I installed the daily image of the 16th and it now runs on Nouveau, which my updated version did not. I installed using the US keyboard and I can now type numbers and the full stop. So, I can login in to the forums. Browser works well. Click packages install.

I would like to find a way of importing audio files to test out the music app. I thought of copying and pasting from another Ubuntu install into the music folder of desktop next but there is no music folder. There is a home folder and in it a username folder which is empty apart from some hidden folders and files. Where does this version store user documents and files? In the cloud?

I tried using Browser to play a BBC radio station. The web site said I needed to install an app from the Android app store. And the link to it is of course broken. I doubt if the app would have worked anyway.

I was able to play some music using GroveShark in Browser. Each app runs on it own "surface." Slide the surface off screen and the app gives up system resources. With Groveshark the music stopped playing. So, that bit works.

Some of the Touch apps that we experimented with a few months back are not present and some of the apps that are present have been redesigned. The ability to slide apps off and on screen as we need them might do away with the need for workspaces.

Edit: Just a thought. Mir seems to have the potential for fancy effects.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; 3 Days Ago at 05:30 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Some of the old mir commands work in terminal.

Code:
    ps aux | grep unity-system-compositor
    I installed mc (midnightcommander) and that works from terminal showing the directory structure and then I installed gnome-terminal and razorqt but as fate would have it, it will not work on mir but will auto roll to xorg. This is where I have to be careful because I do not want to break the unity-ubuntu-desktop next.

If you install razorqt and load gnome-terminal you can type unity8 and it will load up but soon as you try something , a swipe or gester on the iPhone and it will crash but will not hurt the unity8 install.

Then .. just for fun .. if you type in ' gnome-terminal' at the cli after Ctrl+Alt+F1 it will give a very odd 'mir' report as if it is waiting for somthing.

So...

1. Installing gnome-terminal will not break ubuntu-next
    2. Installing razorqt will not break ubuntu-next
    3. Entering 'gnome-terminal' at cli gives a very odd or new report about what mir is doing
    4. ps aux | grep unity-system-compositor will still give report that "mir" is running .. etc..
    5. mc reports directory structure from cli or gnome-terminal when run on razorqt

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; 3 Days Ago at 08:56 PM. Reason: sp
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

What terminal is that? I get network error when I ty to install the terminal app in the app store. Ctrl+Alt+T does not work. Ctrl+Alt+F2 gets me to a terminal but Ctrl+Alt+F7 get me to a blackscreen. Did you use recovery mode to install an MC? Regards

Beans
    Distro

*edit* This may or may not break your break your ubuntu-desktop-next.

I logged on via unity greeter. I have to log on twice. Once in unity-greeter and then once in unity8. To get to Ctrl+Alt+F1 terminal you can do it either after you log on from greeter or after you log in to unity8.

It should give you terminal;

Then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mc

sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal

sudo apt-get install razorqt

sudo apt-get install htop
    Mir is running in the background. To verify enter at the cli (command line interface)

Code:
    ps aux | grep ubuntu-system-compositor
    you will get verbose report (I could not capture it but is similar to reports that we have been been getting with early adopter.

Now , when I type in :

Code:

gnome-terminal
    I get results:

Code:
    gdk_mir_display_open
    Failed to connect to Mir:Failed to send message to server: Broken pipe.
    Failed to parse arguments:Cannot open display:
    but ubuntu-desktop-next is still working.

I know this is not a relevant experiement. I was just trying to experiment and see what was happening . It may or may not eventually break install so I don't want others to break their installs.

The Failed to connect, Failed to parse are new messages after my last reboot. Perhaps this happened after I chose razorqt desktop, logged on and opened gnome-terminal and ran

Code:
    unity8
    I am just curious to see whats going on behind the scenes. The terminal app from the developers section of unity8 will not install correctly .. so it's kind of like we are working in the dark so to speak. So I am trying other things to see if I can see what mir is up to

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; 2 Days Ago at 12:52 AM.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

ok... what happened here is that when I use Ctrl+Alt+F1 after logging on to unity8, unity8 session gets bounced to VT-8 (Ctrl+Alt+F8) and the other 7 terminals are all working so you can run commands at the terminal (but you have to log in to each terminal seperately).. ie; I have mc on one terminal, htop on F4 etc... and I am now downloading xmonad to see if I can start that from one of the terminals .. so there is lots of activity going on here with mir and unity8 .. especially multiple VTs working simultaneously.

Regards..
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Remember the devel software sources we were mucking about with some months ago? Well, there is a devel channel for updating ubuntu touch. Desktop Next is on the standard utopic sources list of any Utopic install. I am going to try moving one of my two desktop next installs on to devel and see what happens. I will be in touch.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; 2 Days Ago at 01:49 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Remember the devel software sources we were mucking about with some months ago? Well, there is a devel channel for updating ubuntu touch. Desktop Next is on the standard utopic sources list of any Utopic install. I am going to try moving one of my to desktop next installs on to devel and see what happens. I will be in touch.

Regards.
    @graham That is going to be interesting Good luck !

Ok .. getting late here. Just wonder if you recall off hand those commands that we had to enter into terminal when testing unity8 from gnome terminal. I just plumb forget It was an environ setting of some sort.

I'll search it later

Regads..
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

It failed. 101 network unreachable. That repository is not longer around, apparently. Back to the drawing board.

Regards.