Thread: High CPU usage streaming video with Firefox

Beans

High CPU usage streaming video with Firefox

Firefox is running at an average 63% CPU when streaming video(YouTube). I have an nVidia graphics card and I'm not sure if this is the cause(GPU memory and/or proprietary driver) or something else. I don't see anything in the nVidia Control Panel settings I could adjust to help.

Reading previous threads on this issue I have not found a solution(disabled add-ons, created a default user in Firefox folder, etc...). Anyone else still experiencing this issue? By the way, I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: High CPU usage streaming video with Firefox

use flash video replacer (a firefox addon) and have it open a standalone player THIS WILL GET YOU HARDWARE ACCELERATION

high cpu usage is just what adobe flash does

you can also pause most (as in not all) videos and run this command (i suggest scrolling down hte page so the flash video is no longer on the visible part of the page)
    Code:
    d="`date`";ln -s `f="$(ls -l /proc/$(pgrep -f flashplayer)/fd | grep deleted)" && f="${f##*:+([0-9]) }" && f="${f%% -*}" && echo /proc/$(pgrep -f flashplayer)/fd/"$f"` /tmp/"movie-$d";totem /tmp/"movie-$d"
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; May 1st, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

yeah i just went to youtube and played a video and im getting 40-60 cpu usage.

Beans

Hardware acceleration has been disabled in recent Flash Player versions for Linux.

So we are force to use software video rendering/decoding. :/
    GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Same issue in Chromium. It's annoying.

Beans

Okay, I added the 'FlashVideoReplacer' Firefox add-on and my CPU usage while streaming has been cut in half(down to an average 31%/Firefox). This still seems rather high usage doesn't it?

Beans

31% is still a bit high but its a lot better then 60%.I get around 18-35% usage in windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brainwash View Post
    Hardware acceleration has been disabled in recent Flash Player versions for Linux.

So we are force to use software video rendering/decoding. :/
    Is this to fix the problem with blue faces on services that use Stage Video like YouTube? I disabled HW acceleration manually (right-click on a video, then choose Settings). Is it the case that it's now disabled by default as well?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Is this to fix the problem with blue faces on services that use Stage Video like YouTube? I disabled HW acceleration manually (right-click on a video, then choose Settings). Is it the case that it's now disabled by default as well?
    The proprietary NVIDIA driver does offer hardware acceleration for Flash videos via the VDPAU API (libvdpau1, NVIDIA only). Not sure, why Adobe still supports this solution, most likely because it is "stable".

caffeinated blood, did you test the various video output devices? I'm using mplayer to play the Flash videos on YouTube and other sites. VA-API tends to be unstable on my system and VDPAU is not supported (AMD/ATI GPU). OpenGL works ok, but the CPU usage is kinda high. X11 does not offer scaling of videos, so I'm using Xv (hardware scaling).
    GNU/Linux

Beans

In reply to 'brainwash': I just tried a youtube video on mplayer. My CPU usage dropped down to 20-30%(totem/xorg), but staying mostly in the low end of this percentage. At the moment this seems to be the way to go?