Thread: Installed From USB, but USB MUST be Plugged In Still?

Beans

Installed From USB, but USB MUST be Plugged In Still?

Hi there!

I earlier downloaded Ubuntu on a Windows computer (which was subsequently not the computer to which I am attempted to install Ubuntu), then wrote the ISO image to an 8 GB USB stick. I then took the stick, plugged it into the very laptop I'm on now, then booted from the USB to install Ubuntu.

The installation went through smooth (or so I thought), and upon its conclusion, it prompted me to restart to complete said installation. I restarted, removed the USB, got past the Asus introduction screen (where you press F2 if you wanted to enter the bios), but then... blank black screen with nothing but a small blinking "text line" in the upper left hand corner.

I thought at first that the boot priorities were just messed up, so I restarted and played around with the order... still nothing. So finally, I took a stab in the dark, and plugged the USB back in and put it back to #1 in the boot menu... now I'm using the complete Ubuntu OS as if it were installed to my hard drive just fine. If I take the USB out? Acts as if there is no Ubuntu on the computer whatsoever?

I am completely and totally at a loss as to what the heck is up. I've used Linux before, but I'm admittedly a novice. I have no clue how to make this work. Help? Please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Re: Installed From USB, but USB MUST be Plugged In Still?

Quote Originally Posted by Miiikha View Post
    Hi there!

I earlier downloaded Ubuntu on a Windows computer (which was subsequently not the computer to which I am attempted to install Ubuntu), then wrote the ISO image to an 8 GB USB stick. I then took the stick, plugged it into the very laptop I'm on now, then booted from the USB to install Ubuntu.

The installation went through smooth (or so I thought), and upon its conclusion, it prompted me to restart to complete said installation. I restarted, removed the USB, got past the Asus introduction screen (where you press F2 if you wanted to enter the bios), but then... blank black screen with nothing but a small blinking "text line" in the upper left hand corner.

I thought at first that the boot priorities were just messed up, so I restarted and played around with the order... still nothing. So finally, I took a stab in the dark, and plugged the USB back in and put it back to #1 in the boot menu... now I'm using the complete Ubuntu OS as if it were installed to my hard drive just fine. If I take the USB out? Acts as if there is no Ubuntu on the computer whatsoever?

I am completely and totally at a loss as to what the heck is up. I've used Linux before, but I'm admittedly a novice. I have no clue how to make this work. Help? Please?
    Hello,

This may solve your problem,

Link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Please let me know.
    To mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Howto:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads