Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Catalyst 12-4 on Precise 32-bit (Patch)

Beans

Installing Catalyst 12-4 on Precise 32-bit (Patch)

NOTE: Most people should use the fglrx package included in Precise, since it is very similar to Catalyst 12-4 and is already patched to fix this error: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/947871

On Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit, attempting to manually install the fglrx/Catalyst 12-4 driver from AMD's site results in a failed build and this error in the log:
    Code:
    fglrx kernel module failed to build [KCL_fpu_begin: Error: 'TS_USEDFPU' undeclared (first use in this function)]
    The error occurs because Catalyst has not been updated to work with recent 3.2 kernels. The following procedure works around the build error. I assume you are using this guide for manual Catalyst installation: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases fakeroot
    cd ~/; mkdir catalyst12.4; cd catalyst12.4/
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
    chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
    ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run --extract driver
    cd driver/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
    wget -O fglrx.patch http://ubuntuone.com/5gNgEmVfzs3ytD5QZ2YGCi
    patch -p1 < fglrx.patch
    cd ~/catalyst12.4/driver/
    ./ati-installer.sh 8.961 --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise
    cd ../
    Now, you should have .deb's ready to install and you can continue following the wiki guide.

Thanks to 'Gennar1' at Phoronix for the patch: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...86-32-bit-arch

Beans

Re: Installing Catalyst 12-4 on Precise 32-bit (Patch)

I had the error reported above and finally switched to the Ubuntu 64bit version which fixed the problem and I was able to install Catalyst 12.4 with a Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics card.

However, despite manually installing the Catalyst driver: under "Additional Hardware" in "Settings", Ubuntu reports that "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system" and it suggests that I install "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver" and one with "post-release updates)

How do I confirm that my drivers are installed properly and register them with the system so they are activated?
    Last edited by RepWolf; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RepWolf View Post
    How do I confirm that my drivers are installed properly and register them with the system so they are activated?
    "Additional Drivers" (aka jockey) only checks to see if the fglrx packages from the Ubuntu repo are installed. If you manually install fglrx/Catalyst, then jockey will give you that message. It's nothing to worry about. The important commands to check are:
    Code:
    fglrxinfo
    fgl_glxgears

Beans

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I will check those commands tomorrow - but I should have mentioned that I did some reviews about jockey and did not quite get it.

I'll check back.

Beans

Hi Temüjin,

I got following error while building package(s):

Code:
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/fglrx.vaMmLu'
    dh_shlibdeps -l/tmp/fglrx.vaMmLu/debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlsym used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextCreateExtension used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XInitExtension used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XRead used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol sem_close used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XCloseDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XOpenDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XDisplayString used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XQueryExtension used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XReply used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 12 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atieventsd contains an unresolvable reference to symbol XauFileName: it's probably a plugin.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XOpenDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XReadPad used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XFree used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XGetErrorDatabaseText used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XMaxRequestSize used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XCreateGC used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XFreeFontInfo used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XEHeadOfExtensionList used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XSend used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XQueryExtension used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 19 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for /usr/share/ati/lib/libQtGui.so.4 (used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui).
    dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/fglrx.substvars debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libaticalrt.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libOpenCL.so.1 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libaticaldd.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/dri/fglrx_dri.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerBe.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/aticonfig debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atiodcli debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/fgl_glxgears debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atieventsd debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atiode debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/fglrxinfo debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/glesx.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/amdxmm.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libXvBAW.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libatiadlxx.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libaticalcl.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libatiuki.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libamdocl32.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so returned exit code 2
    make[1]: *** [override_dh_shlibdeps] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/fglrx.vaMmLu'
    make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Any idea?

Thanks

Beans

^I don't have time to research at the moment, but is there a reason you're not just using fglrx package from repo?

Beans

Sure i have a reason, regular fglrx package doesn't work either Nevermind, i solve it somehow... I don't know whats happened but it is now working after an upgrade of xorg.

Beans

Angry Re: Installing Catalyst 12-4 on Precise 32-bit (Patch)

Hi Temüjin and Outeger
    I got the same error with you Outeger,but I'm new in ubuntu,I don't know how to solve it.
    Can you show me somethingspecific or some codes
    Thank you so much~!!!!!!~~~~~

Beans

Hey, I'm trying to install Catalyst 12.4 drivers manually in Ubuntu 12.10. I need this version because newers don't support ATI 4250. I have this error, trying to install debs:

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.5.0-18-generic (x86_64)

I have Ubuntu 64bits. Is it the same problem as this thread? Is it the same procedure to fix it?

Beans

@MarioMey: no, that's a different problem. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1058040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast