Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Xubuntu 12.04

Re broken themes:
    I always used to like Clearlooks, but some things look really bad in the Clearlooks that ships with Xubuntu now. I found that Clearwaita is a very good replacement:
    http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=145210
    Just copy the zipfile contents to /usr/share/themes.

I notice that with Xubuntu 12.04, Unreal Tournament 2004 occasionally loses scrollwheel motion which means it doesn't always change weapons as it should. I haven't seen this on any previous version of Xubuntu.

Otherwise, it's looking good. I always install gnome terminal because xfce4-terminal doesn't scroll with the scroll wheel in less or man pages.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For all Xubuntu users who may not know it, XFCE 4.10 has a PPA and can be installed on 12.04.

For the "preview" (the following being from here) do this:

Would you like to try Xfce 4.10pre2 ? Are you running Xubuntu 12.04 beta/pr? In case of 2 positive answers, you are only one PPA away from your goal.

- use your terminal to type:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mrpouit/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

- if you decide to remove Xfce 4.10pre2, type these:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:mrpouit/ppa

(Note: Keep in mind that this is not a final/stable Xfce 4.10 release, but a preview release 2 - also, you would be testing a Preview Release in a Beta... so, if you do proceed, do so with caution! & expect some rough edges)
    The launchpad PPA is located here.

And the following is for the stable version (which isn't yet populated):

https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/xfce-4.10

I installed 4.10 on top of Voyager 64bit, and most everything (which I tried) worked beautifully except for the suspend and hibernate options, which were grayed out (a bug for which a fix has already been committed). Shutting down requires using the "log out" option in the menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: Xubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by LewisTM View Post
    Don't know what they did to their kernel or drivers but 12.04 Compiz runs as smooth as in 10.10.
    So after spending some months with Xfwm4, I'm going back to Compiz for the nice effects and features.
    The cube flashing bug is still there but whatever.

Other than that, so far so good. Fast and bug free. Waiting for 4.10 for some fresh meat.

Cheers!
    Excellent..I don't even use the cube.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: Xubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    compiz runs smooth with Xubuntu 12.04 i followed this sites advice the thing i had to do was put the command in [sessions and startup] you will find in settings/settings manager
    compiz --replace put it in application autostart

http://www.howtoforge.com/enabling-c...oneiric-ocelot
    Ok,good deal.
    Thank you!!!
    Last edited by Linuxratty; May 1st, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    For all Xubuntu users who may not know it, XFCE 4.10 has a PPA and can be installed on 12.04.

For the "preview" (the following being from here) do this:

The launchpad PPA is located here.
    People might wanna hold off a wee bit, mr_pouit is busy packaging the 4.10 final release and it should be ready shortly. Once it's in his PPA it will also be moved to the official PPA.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nope. We will stick to what is stable in 12.04 LTS. We are old school.
    Last edited by Marzata; May 1st, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    Nope. We will stick to what is stable in 12.04 LTS.
    Not me. I like to live on the edge - me, my skateboard, snowboard, or laptop, as the case may be.

Beans

Did anyone ever get parole plugin too work. I always end up installing totem.
    A site like this didn't work with parole but works with totem.

http://www.hogsbreath.com/hogcam/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I've upgraded to Xubuntu 12.04 and I have noticed a couple of problems that are more of a nuisance than anything else:

First; AbiWord isn't working quit right. It won't scroll unless you grab the slider on the side of the screen, and many hot keys don't seem to work very well, or not at all, in AbiWord. It's also prone to doing a screen grab and move when I highlight a block of text. I don't use AbiwWord a lot, but these are annoying little problems.

Second; gedit isn't quite right either. For some reason, it will not highlight the current line of text, even though I have selected that option. It will darken the current line's number, if the line numbers are showing, but it won't darken the line itself as it did before the upgrade.

Are these just oddities of those apps under 12.04? I haven't yet run across any other problems since upgrading Xubuntu to 12.04...

Beans

I've had the same problems you describe with AbiWord, so I've switched to LibreOffice writer for the time being. I don't use gedit though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast