Thread: Installing CPU Question

Beans

Installing CPU Question

my Phenom II kit should arrive tw,--

now: I position the CPU over the socket, lining up the gold triangle...

???

and then press down the locking lever and latch it

Question: does the locking lever press the pins into the socket or am I expected to press the CPU into the socket before lowering the locking lever ?

this is my first cpu install; any help here will be greatly appreciated!!

( ASUS M5A88-M mother board ) .
    Last edited by mike acker; October 1st, 2012 at 05:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing CPU Question

I've not installed one of the AMD chips. However, I had a quick Google search to see if the pins were on the socket as they are with the newer Intel chips or on the CPU like they used to be, and found several You Tube videos with demonstrations on how to properly seat the AMD Phenom chips. You might have a look there as it may be easier to follow if you see it visually.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

When properly aligned, the CPU should drop freely into the socket. If you are concerned, you may tap the edges very lightly with a fingernail. The locking lever moves the base slightly horizontally to lightly trap the pins.

Don't tap a fingertip on the metallic part of the CPU or the traces of skin oil will reduce the effectiveness of the thermal compound.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    When properly aligned, the CPU should drop freely into the socket. If you are concerned, you may tap the edges very lightly with a fingernail. The locking lever moves the base slightly horizontally to lightly trap the pins.

Don't tap a fingertip on the metallic part of the CPU or the traces of skin oil will reduce the effectiveness of the thermal compound.
    perfect!!