Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chromium Browser Nightly PPA

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Chromium Browser Nightly PPA

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    I just use official google chrome, it saves a lot of trouble since google has its own repo that's always up to date, and you get the pdf reader, pepper flash ...
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    You can disable stuff like "Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google" from the chrome settings. I see little reason to use chromium

I've heard chromium is a pain in the *** to build, so you guys may be waiting a while for a reliable ppa.
    I haven't come across a convincing argument for those who aren't testers or developers to prefer Chromium over Chrome.

Given that browsers now seem to have a fairly rapid release cycle and constantly fiddle with their UIs, keeping updated is going to be a heavy toll on the folks of Ubuntu's various browser ppa teams. I'm not even sure how necessary these ppas are.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    I solved the issue by reuniting with firefox (after being impressed so much by firefox mobile).
    I wish I could say the same, its not fiefox mobile so much that I hated but the gecko engine that just doesnt display any decent mobile sites because they are almost all written for webkit
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cimdrap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    Ack, Tobias has removed Chromium from his PPA. Probably just as well, it would better to get the "official" PPA back...
    Heh!

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
    ~Mark Twain
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I haven't come across a convincing argument for those who aren't testers or developers to prefer Chromium over Chrome.
    Chromium is 100% open source. That matters to some people who aren't developers or testers.

Also because Google Chrome is not 100% open source, it cannot be distributed in the normal Ubuntu repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Chromium is 100% open source. That matters to some people who aren't developers or testers.

Also because Google Chrome is not 100% open source, it cannot be distributed in the normal Ubuntu repositories.
    I understand the second part. I don't want to argue about the first part.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it cannot be distributed in the normal Ubuntu repositories.
    But does that really matter, when installing chrome automatically adds google's repository?

I'd also go so far as to say chrome is more convenient for testers as well, with google's repo its super easy to switch channel. lets say you are using beta and want to switch to dev channe. Running sudo apt-get install google-chrome-unstable automatically uninstalls beta and installs dev.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I understand the second part. I don't want to argue about the first part.
    I must say...

The reason I do not use Google Search, Google Chrome, et cetera is my lack of trust in the growing Google-NSA alliance since "911".

I know they're trying to be helpful in the ongoing global cyberwars, but they cannot become the antivirus provider for the world. Google-NSA, themselves, have been the target of many successful hacking attempts, and I worry about all the info they're collecting, and into whose hands it will ultimately fall.

I sleep better at night, using Chromium & DuckDuckGo -- that's all.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

So currently our Chromium choices are version 18 from the repos, or 22 from the random crack ppa. Is that what it boils down to?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I must say...

The reason I do not use Google Search, Google Chrome, et cetera is my lack of trust in the growing Google-NSA alliance since "911".

I know they're trying to be helpful in the ongoing global cyberwars, but they cannot become the antivirus provider for the world. Google-NSA, themselves, have been the target of many successful hacking attempts, and I worry about all the info they're collecting, and into whose hands it will ultimately fall.

I sleep better at night, using Chromium & DuckDuckGo -- that's all.
    I mainly use FF, but (as well as a few other browsers) I also have Iron installed:

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_faq.php

Latest Linux version:

https://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3755

Btw, this is worth a read:

The Importance of Anonymity on the Web
    Last edited by paul_in_london; July 17th, 2012 at 01:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daKoolaid View Post
    So currently our Chromium choices are version 18 from the repos, or 22 from the random crack ppa. Is that what it boils down to?
    I'm running chromium-browser version:

Code:
    Chromium 20.0.1132.47 Ubuntu 12.10
    Where are you getting version 18 from?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast