Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash stopped working after upgrade to 12.04

Beans

Re: Flash stopped working after upgrade to 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Did any of you tried adding the plugin as per post #6? I didn't see anyone that said he tried and failed to work.

It works for me.
    Yes I did and it makes no difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've found Flash to be buggy. I can start watching a video on youtube but eventually the controls at the bottom of the video are replicated all over the place. For some reason I also had a paused youtube video stuck in the top left of the screen which could only be seen on white space. eg, if i opened gedit and moved it up to the corner I could see it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_H View Post
    Yes I did and it makes no difference.
    Did you remove all attempts and packages that didn't work? Unless you remove them first it will keep trying to use them so you will get the same message/failure.

You need to remove --purge them all.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

OK, I just did a test in one virtual machine I have. It was installed brand new few days ago to test a LVM setup. It did not have flash or anything installed, just the regular updates.

As you can see on the first attachment, I opened www.speedtest.net to show there is no flash installed. The message clearly says you need flash.

After that I downloaded the flash 11 file from adobe (the 32bit since the test machine is ubuntu 12.04 32bit). I extracted the .tar.gz.

I created a folder /home/username/.mozilla/plugins. The plugins folder does not exist in your home folder in .mozilla. I simply created it and copied the libflashplayer.so.

Close and open firefox. Voila, speedtest now works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    OK, I just did a test in one virtual machine I have. It was installed brand new few days ago to test a LVM setup. It did not have flash or anything installed, just the regular updates.

As you can see on the first attachment, I opened www.speedtest.net to show there is no flash installed. The message clearly says you need flash.

After that I downloaded the flash 11 file from adobe (the 32bit since the test machine is ubuntu 12.04 32bit). I extracted the .tar.gz.

I created a folder /home/username/.mozilla/plugins. The plugins folder does not exist in your home folder in .mozilla. I simply created it and copied the libflashplayer.so.

Close and open firefox. Voila, speedtest now works.
    The problem does not appear to there being no libflashplayer.so in the correct directory and of the correct version or previous version. When I try and run flash I get a grey screen. If I right click a box appears saying "movie not loaded" underneath is the version of flash, which changes when I change versions.

Beans

I think I may have found a fix - similar to darkod. Worked for me. I had a completely clean install of 12.04 Precise on a oldish machine. All fine except for Flash not working in Firefox at all - no matter what I tried with FlashAid, etc. Finally solved like this:
    1. Used Synaptic to completely uninstall flashplugin-installer which had been installed from Ubuntu repositories (and also, in my case, the GTK Flash setting frontend).
    2. Checked that there was now no libflashplayer.so in [root] /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
    3. Downloaded an archived version of Flash - I chose to use the last of the 10.3 versions.
    4. Used Archive Manager tpo extract just the libflashplayer.so file and put it in /home/[myuser]
    5. Copied the file to the plugins folder using
    sudo cp /home/[myuser]/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    6. Started Firfox and tested iPlayer and YouTube - both now worked first time. Rebooted and rechecked - everything fine!

Hope that helps

Graham

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Greetings,

darkod suggests putting latest libflashplayer.so in .mozilla/firefox/plugins. Didn't work for me -- when I try loading separate pages concurrently with their flash ads, I get many crashes.

RRS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Having just seen graham.s's posting just before the one before this (by me), I also tried his suggestion of putting the libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Not a solution (for me) -- still get multiple crashes on multiple concurrent pages.

By the way, my work-around for this problem is to not try opening more than one page with flash video at a time.

RRS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12