Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 install failure and GRUB not set up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

12.04 install failure and GRUB not set up.

Installing from a cd in a multi-boot system I tried to install 12.04 in sda12. It got to the import documents and settings from the other OSs. As I didn't want to I didn't tick any of the boxes. I then get an error message saying it was trying to mount a partition but couldn't because sda8 was mounted (sda8 contains Ubuntu 11.10). I select 'Go back' and get a message saying the install will continue but it clearly doesn't as I'm immediately told installation is complete and to reboot. It certainly didn't set up GRUB as I now get a 'grub rescue>' prompt when booting.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 12.04 install failure and GRUB not set up.

If you boot with the cd and start the install, how can sda8 be mounted? Unless you did it in live mode before starting the install.

To have more info what you've got and what not, run the boot info script from the link in my signature. Post the results as explained. That will show many details of the setup and we can see what is missing.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks for the quick reply darko.

As I can only get in via a liveCD now will bootinfoscript produce any usable output?

Beans
    Distro

Yeap, it scans the hdd. Doesn't matter that you are running it from live mode. Just be careful where it downloads since the run command will depend on that. You need to run it from the same folder.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Unhappy Re: 12.04 install failure and GRUB not set up.

Today I had same problem. Was installing fresh 12.04 server and got error "Grub installation failed" with explanation:

The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/ ...

Options are "Go back" and "Continue", but going back and trying to re-install it results in the same error.

Is it possible that I get this error because my /boot is formated in Ext3? All other partitions are in Ext4.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas123 View Post
    Today I had same problem. Was installing fresh 12.04 server and got error "Grub installation failed" with explanation:

The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/ ...

Options are "Go back" and "Continue", but going back and trying to re-install it results in the same error.

Is it possible that I get this error because my /boot is formated in Ext3? All other partitions are in Ext4.
    No, the ext3 is not a problem. But why did it try to install in /target? The destination should be a MBR of a disk, like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.

/target sounds like something you mounted. Even if you did some work before starting the install, you need to unmount any partitions you mounted before starting the install so it can work with them.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    No, the ext3 is not a problem. But why did it try to install in /target? The destination should be a MBR of a disk, like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.

/target sounds like something you mounted. Even if you did some work before starting the install, you need to unmount any partitions you mounted before starting the install so it can work with them.
    Because it is fresh install I went through all the install screens, freshly partitioned the hdd (as one of the setup process steps) and clicked next.

So hdd was blank to begin with, no mounted partitions :-/

Also: can it be because I don't have internet connection?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas123 View Post
    Because it is fresh install I went through all the install screens, freshly partitioned the hdd (as one of the setup process steps) and clicked next.

So hdd was blank to begin with, no mounted partitions :-/
    Weird. You can probably boot with the desktop live cd in live mode and just add grub2, even though you were installing the server. Should be OK.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

It appears 12.04 and grub are now incompatible. Unable to find the grub directory.

I'm now forced to download the iso and re-install on my linux hard disk. Hopefully a new or compatible grub will appear?

What ever the install does - it actively goes out and writes on the MBR of your windows disk. So remove it before you do the install if you have a multi disk boot system. Otherwise you have to use the grub boot disk to reset the mbr on the windows drive.

This is a pain. If anybody knows how to get the 12.04 drive to boot - posting soon would be really nice.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jkorten View Post
    It appears 12.04 and grub are now incompatible. Unable to find the grub directory.

I'm now forced to download the iso and re-install on my linux hard disk. Hopefully a new or compatible grub will appear?

What ever the install does - it actively goes out and writes on the MBR of your windows disk. So remove it before you do the install if you have a multi disk boot system. Otherwise you have to use the grub boot disk to reset the mbr on the windows drive.

This is a pain. If anybody knows how to get the 12.04 drive to boot - posting soon would be really nice.

Jerry
    What are you talking about?

The grub folder is in /boot/grub. If you are looking from live mode you need to mount your partition first.

If you use the auto method to install ubuntu, grub2 might go to the disk which is first in the boot order, which might be a different disk from where ubuntu is installed. This happens so that grub2 will be booted when you restart. Windows does the same, it puts its bootloader to the disk that is first in the boot order.

Anyway, for greater control in multidisk environment, and to select where to install grub2 yourself, use the manual install method. It always offers best control.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast