Thread: kwin crashes after upgrade to 12.04

Beans

Question kwin crashes after upgrade to 12.04

After upgrading to 12.04 KDE was not loading properly. After the GUI login prompt the system was very sluggish and the "progress bar" never shows the KDE logo. I finally get the KDE desktop, but kwin just keeps on crashing (or so it tells me). I first assumed it had something to do with the graphics driver. I tried to "reset" the nvidia settings as /etc/X11/xorg.conf was empty of most settings, might have been before upgrade too. But I never got anything started under X, the menu popped up when clicked, but took no mouse input.

I finally logged in with KDE failsafe and the system was responsive and I ran the nvidia utility. I do not know what video driver I was running before running this. In oneric I was running a proprietary nvidia driver.

I then had to leave for work.

A wild guess is I had some broken KDE config files which the failsafe did not load or reset. My question is where should I hunt for traces of what went wrong? I have yet to try a normal login.

I am running both Dropbox and Spideroak, but other than that I'm not aware of anything that is autostarted when I login. My ~/.kde/Autostart folder is empty.

Beans

Re: kwin crashes after upgrade to 12.04

Hi,

I had the same problem but after upgrade to new nvidia driver.

I did it:

1. nvidia-xsettings as root
    2. I removed compiz --replace from Autostart the System Settings

After all it works.

Regards

Otto

Beans

Re: kwin crashes after upgrade to 12.04

Hi,

I had the same problem but after upgrade to new nvidia driver.

I did it:

1. nvidia-xsettings as root
    2. I removed compiz --replace from Autostart the System Settings

After all it works.

Regards

Otto