Thread: 12.10 Context menu icons

Beans

12.10 Context menu icons

Hello, I am completely new to Ubuntu. The first hurdle I've run into is that I cannot find out how to turn on icons in my context menu. This makes some of my Firefox addons difficult to use. I found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1246454 while searching and it mentions that there is an option to turn them back on in the System settings but the information in that post seems to be out of date for 12.10. Unless I'm misunderstanding something System > Preferences > Appearance does not exist and System > Appearance doesn't have what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by jspeterson; February 19th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.10 Context menu icons

yes dont follow outdated post/howto/...
    every new release is built differently; so why not using the default config ?

some changes can be made using gnome-tweak-tool

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

The option is hidden in current Gnome versions, but can still be changed through gsettings/dconf-editor.

You can run this command to enable menu icons:
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true
    ...and this to hide them again:
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons false
    Alternatively you can install dconf-tools, and then use dconf-editor to toggle this (and many other) settings.

edit: You'll have to restart Firefox after changing the setting before you see any changes, but most other programs should respect the change immediately.
    Last edited by mcduck; February 19th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    every new release is built differently; so why not using the default config ?
    Some of my Firefox addons use the icons as a part of their interface and are hard to use without them.

mcduck's fix worked, thanks!

And sorry for not putting this in the Absolute Beginners Section, somehow I overlooked it even though it's the first forum listed...