Thread: Lemur Ultra spontaneous actions

Beans

Lemur Ultra spontaneous actions

I recently received a new Lemur Ultra. One thing I haven't figured out is that while I'm typing at the keyboard, things will happen spontaneously, such as the cursor jumping to a different part of the text or the application I'm using behaving as if I had asked for a context menu (right mouse). What is going on here? Am I inadvertently performing some gesture with the track pad that is causing these seemingly out-of-nowhere responses?
    Thanks.
    -- David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lemur Ultra spontaneous actions

Gotta watch the track pad. I do the same thing when I'm not careful.

There is a setting in System Settings to disable the track pad while typing. Hasn't worked for me in the past but it might be worth a shot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pete04 View Post
    Gotta watch the track pad. I do the same thing when I'm not careful.

That would imply that there was a way to use the track pad to make these things happen explicitly. How, for example, can you use the track pad to cause the cursor to jump suddenly to a new location, or to put up a context menu (as if I had used the right mouse button)?
    -- David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's a way to test it.

If you press Fn + F1, that will turn your track pad off. Try typing and see if the same thing happens.

Remember, the trackpad is multi-touch, taps are left clicks and two fingers right clicks.

You could turn multi-touch off in the settings which will make the trackpad only able to move your cursor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shochatd View Post
    That would imply that there was a way to use the track pad to make these things happen explicitly. How, for example, can you use the track pad to cause the cursor to jump suddenly to a new location, or to put up a context menu (as if I had used the right mouse button)?
    -- David
    Yes, in fact. The system is configured for multi-touch by default, and so if you brush a finger or hand across the trackpad, it will move the cursor. A quick tap or brush will trigger a left-click, and if there are two points (i.e. thumbs) touching simultaneously, it can trigger a right-click.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The system is configured for multi-touch by default, and so if you brush a finger or hand across the trackpad, it will move the cursor. A quick tap or brush will trigger a left-click, and if there are two points (i.e. thumbs) touching simultaneously, it can trigger a right-click.
    Very interesting. Two questions: (1) Is this documented somewhere? (2) You say "by default". Is there a place where you can configure it differently? I feel like I didn't do the required reading. The machine came with no printed documentation.
    -- David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shochatd View Post
    Very interesting. Two questions: (1) Is this documented somewhere? (2) You say "by default". Is there a place where you can configure it differently? I feel like I didn't do the required reading. The machine came with no printed documentation.
    -- David
    Yes, within the Mouse and Trackpad section of system settings, you can set the system to recognize either edge scrolling or two-finger scrolling.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This was happening to me all the time. Definitely the trackpad registering my hovering thumbs as taps (and worse, clicks) while typing. As I hate tap-to-click anyway, I just disabled tap-to-click on the touchpad and all my problems went away. My cursor still moves around at times when I type if my thumbs get too close, but since there is no click, the cursor is not repositioned so my typing location does not change.

I use Xubuntu and have a startup script run to disable tap-to-click, but I think in Ubuntu there is a mouse/trackpad GUI option for it.

Beans

Thanks for all the responses. Now that I understand what is going on, I´m enjoying the interesting touchpad functionality. Haven´t decided whether to turn it off. I noticed in System Settings, it has an option to ¨disable the touchpad while typing¨ which is checked. Has that been there all along (I just upgraded to 12.04)? Anyway, I just managed to type this response without any jumping of the insertion point. I´m being careful with my thumbs.
    -- David