Thread: Cheese not working after upgrade to 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Cheese not working after upgrade to 12.04

After upgrading Kubuntu from 11.10 to 12.04, Cheese stopped working. I can see its icon popup shortly on the task bar and then disappearing immediately again. Anyone has the same problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cheese not working after upgrade to 12.04

I do not. What happens if you try running
    Code:
    cheese
    from the terminal?

Beans
    Distro

When running cheese from terminal, I get the following output:

Code:
    (cheese:3402): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3402): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3402): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3402): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkGrid to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3402): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel
    libv4l2: error getting pixformat: Invalid argument

** (cheese:3402): CRITICAL **: cheese_camera_device_get_uuid: assertion `CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)' failed
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    I don't understand a word of this.

Beans
    Distro

Don't worry, I really don't either. Everything else is fine except for that segfault at the end. I tried looking around and I couldn't find an immediate solution.

Might as well try running:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove cheese
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cheese
    Hopefully, a re-install will fix it.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately, a re-install didn't fix it either :-/

Beans
    Distro

Nevermind. I re-installed the OS now. Replaced Kubuntu with Ubuntu, giving Unity another try. Cheese is working now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MrsUser View Post
    Nevermind. I re-installed the OS now. Replaced Kubuntu with Ubuntu, giving Unity another try. Cheese is working now.
    Perhaps it was a Kubuntu issue. Also, if you decide that you don't like Unity, there are many GNOME-based alternatives such as Gnome Shell (my personal favorite), Gnome Classic, Cinnamon, and MATE.