Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live-anything doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[SOLVED]Live-anything doesn't work

I am trying to make a Live-something so that I can boot from it in the event that my Ubuntu laptop becomes unbootable for some reason (and so that I can do a clean backup and so that I can do a reinstall and ...).

I followed the instructions linked to but the results so far are not promising.

What I have tried so far:

Download ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    Verified good download by MD5 value

Burned to CD at lowest possible burn speed.

Boot from CD starts to work. Get some cryptic icon and can choose Language and get Help etc. Can choose "Try Ubuntu without installing". That goes for a little while and then I get a lot of white text on a black screen. It isn't obvious from any of the text that there is an error message but it's all fairly cryptic.

At that point it will echo what I type but nothing that I have typed has resulted in any kind of response. (I don't know whether it really is expecting me to type something or is just pausing to show me the text or input is asynchronous with respect to the boot process.)

Has the boot failed? What state is it in?

The only thing that appears to elicit any meaningful response is Ctrl-Alt-Del, which results in a bit more output and then restarts.

From reading other posts, someone is bound to say that the burn was no good. So I followed the procedure to make a bootable USB flash drive. The result was basically the same as with the CD.

When booting, the last line of output says

[9.895005] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk

(The exact numbers at the beginning of the line in square brackets vary.)

I don't think I can easily get the full text but I can post more (i.e. previous lines of output) if someone thinks it will help.

How long should a boot from CD take? How long should a boot from USB flash drive take? (With the USB flash drive I waited about 10 minutes.)

Giving up on that, I thought that maybe there is a bug that is fixed in 12.04 so I downloaded ubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso and created a bootable USB from that.

No luck.

At one point I got "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!" and a prompt "boot:". That message doesn't help me. I see from the internet that other people have had that problem but I wasn't able to get anywhere.

I wondered whether maybe there's a 64 bit problem so I wanted to try the 32 bit version (even though it won't actually solve my problem). Aaaarrrgggh! Between the time of downloading the 11.10 64 bit iso and all this failure, the 11.10 32 bit iso has gone away (can't see where to download it). Is it still available for download somewhere?

That's as far as I have got.

I may try to buy a new flash drive. Does anyone know definitively how a flash drive should be partitioned and how it should be formatted (file system type, file system parameters) in order to use it to boot from?

Does it make any difference whether I use F2 to get into BIOS setup and alter the boot order or use F7 to choose boot options? Both seemed to have the correct effect (boot from other than the normal boot device) but neither seemed to work once the boot started.
    Last edited by Newbunto; May 1st, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Live-anything doesn't work

ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso doesn't work either. Tried that burnt to CD. CD drive shows activity for about 5 minutes then goes quiet and nothing ever happens after that. Up to that point I have got the menu offering "Try Ubuntu without installing", which I choose.

MD5 says that the copy on the CD is identical to the downloaded copy is identical to the original on the net (to a high degree of probability).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am experiencing the same issue. I just updated from 11.10 to 12.04, and failed the purity test, choosing which partition to put grub on. I went with sda1 instead of sda, so now I need to repair from the live cd, but the live cd is DOA.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What URL are you guys downloading from? Is it the official www.ubuntu.com page or something like cdimage.ubuntu.com? Downloading from the latter may mean you got the Apple CD for Mac computers, which won't work in our systems.

Also, make sure you have the Desktop CD, not a DVD, and not the Alternate CD. Both of these are untested, and we don't check their reliability with our systems.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I downloaded from ubuntu.com.

I just got off the phone with system76 support and they cleared it right up for me. It turns out that in order to run the live cd, you must first hit f6 on the live cd's first menu. There you select "nomodeset" and then try to run the live cd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    What URL are you guys downloading from?
    I am starting at http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop, choosing 32 bit or 64 bit (I've tried both), and clicking on "Start download". Beyond that it is difficult to tell what the final resulting URL is.

I will try the "nomodeset" thing later today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    There you select "nomodeset"
    Thank you! I have finally managed to boot a live CD (11.10 64bit).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I should add that I also managed to boot a live USB flash drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since it is bound to come up ... while that trick works for doing "nomodeset" on a Live-something, I assume that it won't work on reinstalling Ubuntu. That is, after installing Ubuntu, you may need to add "nomodeset" (temporarily or permanently?). The internet says that in order to add "nomodeset" temporarily during a boot of an installed Ubuntu, hold down the Shift key during the boot. That will pause in GRUB and you can make a temporary change to the boot options.

NB: I haven't tried the reinstall yet so don't know at all what will be needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Newbunto View Post
    Since it is bound to come up ... while that trick works for doing "nomodeset" on a Live-something, I assume that it won't work on reinstalling Ubuntu. That is, after installing Ubuntu, you may need to add "nomodeset" (temporarily or permanently?). The internet says that in order to add "nomodeset" temporarily during a boot of an installed Ubuntu, hold down the Shift key during the boot. That will pause in GRUB and you can make a temporary change to the boot options.

NB: I haven't tried the reinstall yet so don't know at all what will be needed.
    Once you've installed, all you need to do is run the System76 Driver and install the Nvidia driver to get everything set up.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast