Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 12.04: Pure Disaster

Beans

Upgrade to 12.04: Pure Disaster

No doubt Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer sleep very soundly at night. That is because Linux will never ever knock Windows from the top spot.

Why? Consider my latest experience upgrading from 11.10 to 12.04. The actual upgrade went smoothly, but when I rebooted, all I got was a black screen. A week of rooting around in forums and other discussion threads revealed that the new NVIDIA driver (version 295.40) is incompatible with Unity and with Gnome and apparently with all environment that uses "effects." Apparently the prior driver (version 295.33) works fine. I haven't checked. I'm worn out.

A week or reinstalling, checking and recheckng hardware, head scratching....What a waste of time. And who knows when NVIDIA will release a bug fix.

It takes a uniquely passionate hater of Windows to put up with this degree of nonsense. Most people would just walk away, and indeed do just that.

Sweet dreams, Bill and Steve....

Beans

Re: Upgrade to 12.04: Pure Disaster

I have to agree with you. However, I've never tried using Linux on a new machine. I only use Linux when I'm trying to save putting a tired computer in the landfill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No doubt Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer sleep very soundly at night. That is because Linux will never ever knock Windows from the top spot.
    Please rephrase. No doubt Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer sleep very soundly at night. That is because UBUNTU will never ever knock Windows from the top spot.

Linux is its own and is already out doing ballmer and gates just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Linux has its own user base, and people switch to Linux for various reasons.

Beans

Interesting. I was wondering why I couldn't get Unity 3D or Gnome 3 to work at all on a "fresh" install (well, actually I did retain my old /home directory from Hardy on this box). I was actually very surprised that Ubuntu installed the Nvidia driver by default, then I upgraded the the latest version, but still couldn't use Unity 3D or Gnome. Unity 2D works fine, as does XFCE. KDE wouldn't initiate properly until I logged in to another working desktop and disabled Desktop Effects (and Virtuoso, a useless pile, anyway). Neither XFCE nor KDE look particularly spiffy, not a big deal. I was kind of hoping for a more polished LTS release. Luckily I've been using Linux almost exclusively for 7 years so I knew how to work around the issues, but it was puzzeling to say the least.

I think Ubuntu should have done what it did for Dapper Drake, delay the release for a couple of months until they'd worked out more of the bugs. I installed the last Beta on a box and it was still getting huge package churn until I gave the box away a couple of weeks ago. But at least the Unity 3D desktop worked with older Nvidia. I should probably downgrade to the 19X series driver for this card, anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

problem is many have been sitting and supporting micro soft obsolete junk for so long the world of technology has moved on by them and they cant under stand it ..

first your blaming Linux for something they cant control the software for someone else hardware they wont share the source for nivida divers that don't work on this OS are nivida fault they cant write software for there own stuff ..

the thing for people to do is to pull the nivida video card and refuse to buy or install them use others that support Linux no matter the what name it goes by if enough people start doing that then it wil start to gain more respect it should have had all along ..

anyone who thinks linux hasnt got microsoft on the run is kidding them selves why do you think the big change for win8 to touch screen type environment and by win 9 most likely desk top will be out near altogether from Microsoft..

people are willing to spend more for there tablets and smart phone then they are there computers Ios and android based and you can bet these platforms are not having issues with drivers from these same companies this is where the $$ are today ..
    Last edited by jadtech; April 30th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: Upgrade to 12.04: Pure Disaster

very much agreed ... and although Ubuntu may not be the most common choice for os , it sure took away a ton of my headaches. this computer was originally using win xp and i had been downloading driver after driver to get it to the way it was supposed to be ...after two weeks of messing with it i decided that windows was to much of a hassle and downloaded Ubuntu ...immediately after the install everything worked just as it should .. no problems , no headaches , no drivers . and my comp runs so much faster and more efficiently now as well ...long live ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

A week of rooting around in forums and other discussion threads revealed that the new NVIDIA driver (version 295.40) is incompatible with Unity and with Gnome and apparently with all environment that uses "effects." Apparently the prior driver (version 295.33) works fine.
    I haven't experienced this and I beta 2 tested and preformed a clean installation of the final yesterday. I have used the shell , classic , and unity 3d today . I have to add that after a failed upgrade with 9.10 I have never tried again .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fvillars View Post
    threads revealed that the new NVIDIA driver (version 295.40) is incompatible with Unity and with Gnome and apparently with all environment that uses "effects." Apparently the prior driver (version 295.33) works fine.
    I must be lucky because I run Unity 3D, Gnome Shell and Cinnamon with an Nvidia 430GT and 295.40, just fine.
    Registered Linux User #147599
    Registered Ubuntu User #24596

Beans

I tried to upgrade from 10.04 to 12

Nightmare , broke most of my packages ( CAElinux)

gave up , will try again in JULY when its stable ( as noted in release notes )

The question then is; why release it now?

I did a fresh install of 12.04 on a amd , radeon laptop and its worked , except netgen isn't working ,big hole in the window

I personally "like " unity , but would prefer rock solid stability and ease of use rather than the current state of affairs

Stephen
    Ubuntu 11 10
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz 4 GB Ram
    install by upgrade not clean install
    Nividia graphics card

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast