Thread: Desktop VMs in the Cloud?

Desktop VMs in the Cloud?

Hello there,

I'll briefly explain what I'm trying to achieve, but I'm not sure if its possible, so can anyone advise me on this?

Firstly, I want to set up a small cluster of identical servers, and then run Virtual Machines on them serving Ubuntu Desktop to a thin client.

I am aware I can set this up with Ubuntu LTSP, but I'm looking for a solution that means I can use the virtual machine from anywhere, not just lan.

I also would like it to do some kind of load balancing, so the load is spread evenly as if it was just one server.

Finally, I would like it so that the remote machines can be started and shutdown just as it was a normal operating system on a normal pc, remembering all the data ect stored with each virtual machine.

Any advice / questions welcome, and thankyou to all.

Boston, USA
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Desktop VMs in the Cloud?

I have the same question. ...all the info on cloud virtualization is server based. How to do desktop clients?

Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Desktop VMs in the Cloud?

I've just joined this sub-forum as I start to experiment with ubuntu in the cloud.

Although this thread is a couple of months old I found this useful blog I'm starting to follow to convert my ubuntu 10.10 instance into desktop in the cloud..