Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems after upgrading! Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Problems after upgrading! Ubuntu 12.04

So, I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04. This is the first time I've upgraded from one version of Ubuntu to another, and now I'm encountering some problems:
    1. Trying to use Ubuntu (non-2D) is impossible, because all that is visible is the gnome bar thing on the top of the screen; everything else is white except for the strip where the applications usually are and that's a different colour; I can still open applications but they don't show up, all I see is this white screen. I had this problem with 11.10 as well, and then all I had to do was update the Nvidia drivers through the Additional Drivers section in System Settings. However, when I went to Additional Drivers after installing 12.04 (got there through using Ubuntu (Unity 2D)), first I got an error then no drivers appeared, so now I'm stuck with the 2D version of Ubuntu...
    2. I'm constantly getting Unity 2D has crashed errors, although nothing seems to have changed about the desktop... also I'm getting a whole lot of "Ubuntu 12.04 has encountered an error" messages, although again, I don't see any changes...

Any advice for me?
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans

Re: Problems after upgrading! Ubuntu 12.04

I second this, everything noted in the post above me is happening to me too.

Specs: HP zd7060ea, Intel Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB HDD...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SlasherIT View Post
    I second this, everything noted in the post above me is happening to me too.

Specs: HP zd7060ea, Intel Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB HDD...
    You are using the exact same video card as me; that may mean something...
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Certainly sounds like an issue with that particular card. What error are you getting when trying the 3rd party driver install?
    My very own riot?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HeroOfCanton View Post
    Certainly sounds like an issue with that particular card. What error are you getting when trying the 3rd party driver install?
    What 3rd party driver install? The issue was that in Additional Drivers it doesn't show any driver for the graphics...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by SlasherIT View Post
    What 3rd party driver install? The issue was that in Additional Drivers it doesn't show any driver for the graphics...
    Sorry, I should have said "additional driver install". As for the error, you said:
    However, when I went to Additional Drivers after installing 12.04 (got there through using Ubuntu (Unity 2D)), first I got an error then no drivers appeared, so now I'm stuck with the 2D version of Ubuntu...
    Is this happening each time you try to view additional drivers or was that just a one time thing? You'd think the drivers would carry over, so I'm wondering if the problem is when Ubuntu's looking for the driver rather than the driver not existing.
    My very own riot?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HeroOfCanton View Post
    Is this happening each time you try to view additional drivers or was that just a one time thing? You'd think the drivers would carry over, so I'm wondering if the problem is when Ubuntu's looking for the driver rather than the driver not existing.
    It just happened the once, and it was something along the lines of "Ubuntu 12.04 has encountered a problem." or something like that with the option to send error report or close; I sent the error report. But now I can't access the drivers thing at all!
    I thought that the drivers would have carried over as well, but apparently not . To make it worse, the upgrade completely wiped my system of everything Nvidia related, I don't even have Nvidia X Server Settings any more!
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Your card uses nvidia driver 173 currently xserver 1.11 does not support that driver. Your problems with the unity panel are because you are running in 2d.

Beans

It's happening to me as well. And it doesn't have network connection... Don't know why. Previous 11.10 works perfectly. Kind of disappointed

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameWill View Post
    Your card uses nvidia driver 173 currently xserver 1.11 does not support that driver. Your problems with the unity panel are because you are running in 2d.
    So I have a problem, then, because I can't run Ubuntu non-2D without one of the 3rd party drivers....
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast