Thread: Importing Evolution Backup to Thunderbird

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Importing Evolution Backup to Thunderbird

I've searched earlier, and could not find a result. How do I import into Thunderbird the Evolution Backup tar.gz file? Thunderbird will only import Mozilla files, but not Evolution. It also appears that in the future I can't make a backup for Thunderbird, either.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Importing Evolution Backup to Thunderbird

I'm not impressed. Why make the change when there isn't a way to do a migration. Even Microsoft ensures migration is possible in such cases.

Beans
    Distro

Interestingly, a year later this thread appears as the first result in Google for these search words "import evolution backup to thunderbird".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Interestingly, this is STILL a major problem. This is a real head-smacker to me, considering how Ubuntu is trying to get people to move from Evolution to Thunderbird.

I tried the PITA, but relatively straightforward instructions here:

http://nucleussystems.com/blog/migra...to-thunderbird

and that didn't work properly either. First it made absolutely HUGE mbox files, which literally filled my HD to capacity (100s of GB). Second, when I did it piecemeal (by for example, backing up one year at a time) the imported messages in Thunderbird were often mishmashes of multiple mails. Totally untrustworthy for a decade's worth of mail I'd like to keep.

How is it possible that there is no easy, straightforward way to get mail from Evolution to Thunderbird?