Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) - Sound control panel crash

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) - Sound control panel crash

Hi everyone! My name is SonicARG, and I'm writing from Argentina.

I would consider myself an intermediate user of Ubuntu because I'd started using it since 3 years ago (only using LiveCD feature, didn't have where to install), and since one and a half years ago with a full featured installation. Before Ubuntu, I was a advanced user of Windows (since 10 years); nowadays I'm a hybrid user, as I use to say "I like and use Linux mostly, but some things that are better in Windows should stay in Windows".

I decided to start a thread here because I had a problem on using latest Ubuntu 12.04 ("Precise Pangolin"). As I didn't know where to start the thread, I hanged it here (if I'm wrong, please let me know).

My problem started when I upgraded my computer from 11.10 ("Oneiric Ocelot") to the current version using the built-in version upgrader. Installation went out well (it took 4 hours approx) and startup of new version was excellent.
    These days, I was watching a movie using VLC Player and I wanted to know if my PC Speakers' volume was at 100%. I knew that, if you enter the Sound Control Panel, you'd get a volume slider that has three important points: silenced, 100% and max. The problem is that, when I try to enter either from the Control Panel or the top bar icon, the control panel crashes and does not show up the window I want to check.

Do you have experienced the same problem?

Let me know if I need to post more info. Thanks in advanced!

SonicARG

PS: My mother language is Spanish. Even if I had several years of English language studies, mistakes can still be made. If something is still not clear, let me know. Thanks.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) - Sound control panel crash

Hi everyone, I'm back again.

Seems that the problem was some self-compiled libraries that had some conflicts with the Pangolin. I had to install several apps some months ago, and I had to compile this libs:

• libogg
    • libvorbis
    • libvorbisenc
    • libxml2
    • libxlst

and the Pangolin didn't like them (specially red-coloured ones); so I had to recompile & install them again from sources. And worked.

Thanks for now, this thread can now be tagged as solved.

SonicARG

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) - Sound control panel crash

Thread closed at OP request.