Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can I downgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I downgrade?

I did , just for experimental purposes, re-break a system with a bad libx file and tried this process for recovery and it did not work. The file had to be manually downgraded even after the downgrade from Quantal to Presice.

So still much more work in progress for a streamlined system restore tool for noobs
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

So even in our questions and our critisisms, it sparks interest and inspires innovation. We are all standing on the shoulders of giants here I think.... and .. , and YOU become that giant. What you contribute makes YOU an Ubuntu Rock Star.. and then others too can be an integral part of it all.
    Well said Vertical

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by williejones View Post
    Well said Vertical
    Even the proof readers and the documentarians deserve a star on there foreheads.Generally speaking, I am not sure how many times I have taken all that work for granted in the past.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Graham, your a genius !!

Only prob is:

ventrical@ventrical1ME051:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu quantal (development branch)
    Release: 12.10
    Codename: quantal
    ventrical@ventrical1ME051:~$

and Quantal still comes up hard coded in System Monitor.. thing is .. it's Precise !!! That was a brilliant suggestion. I'm going to spend some time on this one

but I think that is because I used those template codes that Arpanaut put up. It certainly didn't do any harm. I'm just curious if this proceedure can be used as a "system restore" tool that when a end_user has a big prob and can get to terminal and wants to save important stuff, that he can restore his system by using the back-grade process you have suggested.
    Huh. I tried the exact same thing tonight. My video card has issues in Precise... I thought I'd see if they were better in Quantal... turns out the card doesn't work at *all* in Quantal or on a 3.5.0 kernel!

Anyway, at the end my lsb_release says it's 12.04 again.

I wonder if there's a way to optimize this more -- I downgraded everything to precise -- then I had to re-upgrade in order to apply all of the precise-security updates. The security updates were >400MB. If I had preferred precise-security, then fell back on precise, that would have been a huge savings.

Beans
    Distro

@postmaxin

Are you saying that one of my crazy suggestions actually works? You are joking me. Yes? Well I never. May be I will get up the nerve to test this myself. Once I recover from all the Quantal breakage that has been going on the last few days.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456