Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I downgrade?

Beans

Can I downgrade?

I've got QQ on my computer but I was wondering if I could go to Precise from Quantal without reinstallation.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I downgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    I've got QQ on my computer but I was wondering if I could go to Precise from Quantal without reinstallation.
    Yep Yep and Hoh-hoi

Beans

But, how?
    CrunchBang Linux
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my opinion, it is the same as for 12.04 vs. 11.10, you can't downgrade.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1903087

But maybe there is a way I don't know of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

At this early point of development (only a couple of Quantal packages published) it is possible to downgrade to Precise.
    You need to manually download the Precise version of every single package you have upgraded to Quantal. Perhaps from 10 to 20 packages.
    Then, (for example with terminal) go to the folder they were downloaded to and run this:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Beans

I'm no expert, so I have no idea how to locate the upgraded packages and then install the Precise version of each of those.
    CrunchBang Linux

Beans
    Distro

if you know when you upgraded , open synaptic , then go to file>history that should tell you the names of the upgraded packages . You would probably be better off backing up your /home and doing a reinstall though , downgrades can get really messy . back up your /home anyway .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    I'm no expert, so I have no idea how to locate the upgraded packages and then install the Precise version of each of those.
    Well, after all, sorry to say this but you should have upgraded to Quantal only if you were an expert.

Beans
    Distro

This suggestion is entirely experimental. I have never done it. You might be the first to try.

First of all, do you have another version of Ubuntu that you can boot into if something goes wrong.

I have an 11.10 that I use a standby. I have 12.04 on another partition that I have now begun converting to 12.10.

In a few days, when the rush has died down, I shall upgrade my 11.10 to 12.04 and it will be my standby as I use this 12.04/12.10.

These were the two commands that I used to convert a 12.04 to 12.10

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/precise/quantal/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    You could reverse the first command to

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/quantal/precise/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    and then run

[CODE]
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    if that don't work try

Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    By changing the repositories to quantal and then updating and upgrading we brought in the packages that were available in the quantal repositories.

Now, by changing the repositories back to precise you may find that what was brought in is removed. I am sure that you will need to put your repositories back to precise.

But as I say, none of this is based upon experience.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Well, after all, sorry to say this but you should have upgraded to Quantal only if you were an expert.
    I've only been testing future releases once before, and that was for 12.04,in which you could not downgrade unless you reinstalled, therefore i never learned how to downgrade. On the other hand I do know some shell, and everyone has to start somewhere.
    CrunchBang Linux

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast