Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you install large capacity hard drive?

Beans

How do you install large capacity hard drive?

I've read somewhere, that installing TB hdd is tearing.
    I bought one to add more space, and yes, I can't make it work alongside with my ubuntu.
    I wonder why, and how...

So, how do you install TB hard drive alongside with ubuntu?
    Please let me know your experiences about this....

System specification:
    Mobo: GA-MA790GP-UD4H
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...d=3003&dl=1#sp

Disk Drives:
    80 GB Maxtor, PATA, as system (ubuntu 11.10 64bit)
    2 TB WD Caviar Green (WD20EARX), SATA, unformatted
    http://www.wdc.com/global/products/s...933&language=1
    Optical Drive:
    SATA DVD drive
    Problem:
    Installing WD20EARX (not as system).
    Last edited by Elzenbr8; May 2nd, 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Add system spec

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do you install large capacity hard drive?

What about it doesn't work? If you're using an older PC, there's a chance the BIOS may not be recognizing the drive. If the BIOS doesn't see it correctly, no OS is going to either.

If all you are wanting to do is add the drive to your storage volumes and not put an OS on it, then it should be very simple.

What version of Ubuntu are you using, and what kind of hardware do you have? Mainly looking for motherboard model name.
    HP ProBook 4530s - 4GB RAM - 12.04 AMD64

Beans

I use a screwdriver

NO seriously, if your BIOS dont support it then it wont see it.

How old is machine ? What filesystems you using, can you see it from Live CD ?
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    I use a screwdriver

NO seriously, if your BIOS dont support it then it wont see it.

How old is machine ? What filesystems you using, can you see it from Live CD ?
    I was going to mention I used rails to isntall mine.. hehe

But yea Ditto to what Haqk mentioned.
    But if it is installed and able to see it, you may have to low level format it since you didnt mention the brand or model of the drive hard to tell. But you may just need to do a basic format, I suggest Ext4 FS and then chown of the drives folder over to your account so you can read and write to it.

Cheers..
    Joe
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 830 Series SSD, Intel HD4000 iGPU, 2x Samsung Series3 LED Monitors.
    Photography Homepage: exodistphotography.blogspot.com
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Thanks for your reply all.

I'm using gigabyte mainboard, it's GA-MA790GP-UD4H.And hdd is WD Caviar, WD20EARX.And I used my old hdd 80 GB (PATA) for ubuntu. Currently I downgraded to 11.10.
    Well, I think this should work. Since I read some people attach more than 2TB successfully. However, some not.

My BIOS can detect it, but I don't know why won't show it. And ubuntu keep saying softreset.
    Should I unplug my old one and attach only the new one?

Any idea?

Beans

Oh, well..
    It's really hauting me. I've never thought adding additional space would be hard like this.
    Maybe I need to make it as an accessory before got me insomnia again and again, haha....

Beans

There it is, I remove my old one and add only this wd20earx and optical drive connected on sata controller.
    Then, I swit ch sata type as ide from by bios. Now, both are on the ide list. But, detected capacity is 0 MB.
    With this, I think there is no way to make it works with ubuntu, neither do with another OSs.

mhdd (ubcd), said the drive is not ready. whil e my ubuntu keep saying softreset over and over again.

Beans
    Distro

I think you'll want AHCI, not IDE, though that mainly depends on what the BIOS was set at on last install so you can boot. Once you boot into Ubuntu, you'll need to run Disk Utility. Locate your new drive, and format/partition it. If it's a brand new drive, there is no file system on it, which is why Ubuntu doesn't "do" anything with it right away. If this drive is already set up and there's data on it, then it should be detected (but not mounted) automatically. Clicking on the drive would then mount it for access.
    HP ProBook 4530s - 4GB RAM - 12.04 AMD64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

your motherboard has 3 Gb/sec ports and drive is new Advanced format with 6 Gb/sec connection.

I do not see anything about it also being backwards compatible with the 3 Gb/sec but I thought most drives were. Do you know for sure if it is? What does vendor say?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
    I think you'll want AHCI, not IDE, though that mainly depends on what the BIOS was set at on last install so you can boot. Once you boot into Ubuntu, you'll need to run Disk Utility. Locate your new drive, and format/partition it. If it's a brand new drive, there is no file system on it, which is why Ubuntu doesn't "do" anything with it right away. If this drive is already set up and there's data on it, then it should be detected (but not mounted) automatically. Clicking on the drive would then mount it for access.
    Yes, I need it in AHCI istead of IDE/RAID. But to ensure my BIOS can detect it, I need to switch to IDE, so it's got on the list, since AHCI rom list only my SATA optical drive. And it's brand new, so of course the first thing I want to do is to format it. I've checked, during the boot process, said something like ATA4 softreset (I don't remember what message exactly written). I've used my installed ubuntu and live ubuntu, but can't have it mounted (automatically which is using nautilus since it's not listed there, or manually using terminal).

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    your motherboard has 3 Gb/sec ports and drive is new Advanced format with 6 Gb/sec connection.

I do not see anything about it also being backwards compatible with the 3 Gb/sec but I thought most drives were. Do you know for sure if it is? What does vendor say?
    Yes, my motherboard has 3 Gb/s port. And my hdd is 6 Gb/s and has backwar dcompatibility, so I don't need to worry, right?Maybe...
    Without jumpering it should be compatible with 3/1.5 Gb/s. However, I did jumpering too, and still got the same. Connectors and ports are all fine. It doesn't matter if it runs on 3/1.5 Gb/s, limited, or so...
    I have no more idea why it doesn't work....

By the way, upgrading or downgrading BIOS, will it make it works or maybe will make the things worst?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast