Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Your system is running in low-graphics mode'' after Ubuntu 12.04 LTS update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "Your system is running in low-graphics mode'' after Ubuntu 12.04 LTS update

might be worth doing the install again, might have cleared up some old files.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans

Re: "Your system is running in low-graphics mode'' after Ubuntu 12.04 LTS update

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    might be worth doing the install again, might have cleared up some old files.
    And how do i do that?
    Sorry for all the questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Chris,

I downloaded 12.04 from the ubuntu site, burned to a cd and booted the pc from the cd to run the installer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello Chris
    Try this: boot to recovery mode and you should get a menu and then choose "Fix Broken Packages" or you could drop to a root terminal and type
    Code:
    apt-get upgrade -f
    HTH

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by awam66 View Post
    Hello Chris
    Try this: boot to recovery mode and you should get a menu and then choose "Fix Broken Packages" or you could drop to a root terminal and type
    Code:
    apt-get upgrade -f
    HTH
    Hey,
    i chose the "Fix Broken Packages", it did it's thing, but i still get the same error, so that didn't fix it.
    And when i enter the code you gave me in root terminal, i get this:
    Code:
    W: Not using locking for read only file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldbrijo View Post
    Hi Chris,

I downloaded 12.04 from the ubuntu site, burned to a cd and booted the pc from the cd to run the installer.
    Hi,
    but if i do a clean install with a cd for 12.04, will my previous files will be lost? I mean like my pictures, folders, music and other stuff i had on my laptop.

Beans

:bump:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

but if i do a clean install with a cd for 12.04, will my previous files will be lost? I mean like my pictures, folders, music and other stuff i had on my laptop.
    Only if you delete your existing Ubuntu partition.

You should make a backup copy of all your files and settings and store them all in some other media before you do any work on your computer's hard disk. Most people now have too much stuff to fit on DVDs, so either a USB flash memory stick or another hard drive will likely be needed, you can use a USB external hard drive if you want. I think that's what most people probably use these days.

If you want you should be able to resize your existing Ubuntu partition smaller to make room for your new Ubuntu installation and have two Ubuntus in the same hard disk. You can do that either with GParted in the Ubuntu CD or with the installer's partitioner during the installation process. Install a new Ubuntu beside your old one and then copy your files across. You still should make a files backup in another disk beforehand though, to be safe.

EDIT: Also, have you read this sticky: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot ?
    Last edited by Herman; May 13th, 2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling, & P.S.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    Only if you delete your existing Ubuntu partition.

You should make a backup copy of all your files and settings and store them all in some other media before you do any work on your computer's hard disk. Most people now have too much stuff to fit on DVDs, so either a USB flash memory stick or another hard drive will likely be needed, you can use a USB external hard drive if you want. I think that's what most people probably use these days.

If you want you should be able to resize your existing Ubuntu partition smaller to make room for your new Ubuntu installation and have two Ubuntus in the same hard disk. You can do that either with GParted in the Ubuntu CD or with the installer's partitioner during the installation process. Install a new Ubuntu beside your old one and then copy your files across. You still should make a files backup in another disk beforehand though, to be safe.

EDIT: Also, have you read this sticky: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot ?
    Okay, thanks for anwsering, but could you give me a tutorial on how to do all this?
    Sorry, but i'm not sure how to do it myself, and i want to follow a tutorial just to be safe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast