Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

12.04 shutdown freezes

Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 (yeah I did an upgrade and not a clean install) and am having a couple of issues. The most pressing issue is that 4 times out of 5 when I try to shutdown, everything seems to go as it should except the machine won't completely shutdown. Everything seems off, but my power light stays on and I can't start the machine again until I hold the power button in for a few seconds and kill the machine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

UPDATE

I looked about and found reference to a bug with Nvidia drivers and shutdown / restart problems in 12.04. The bug wasn't exactly the same as the problem I had, but it was similar. I updated my Nvidia driver to the one with (post release updates)(version current updates) next to it in the list of additional drivers and the problem seems to be fixed. Specifically the driver I'm now using is version 295.40

I'm going to wait a couple of days before marking this thread as solved.

UPDATE 2

The problem still exists.
    Last edited by GrouchyGaijin; April 29th, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Update 2
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

I have the same problem with clean 12.04 install. Shutdown and Restart work ok from log screen though. So if you logout and the shutdown/restart it doesn't freeze. I've read that gnome-network-manager was causing such problems on 11.10 but I removed it and nothing changed. I just updated my ATI Radeon HD drivers to the latest from the official site. I will test and report.

I hope someone can help us!

Cheers...
    Last edited by spirosbond; April 29th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, thanks for the tip! I can live with needing to logout before shutting down, for the time being anyway.
    This is pretty irritating, there is a bug with the version of Conky that ships with 12.04 that messed up a lot things. The solution is to downgrade to an older version of Conky.

Now this start / restart thing. Ugg
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On my computer, if I restart, it doesn't completely shut down as in the OP. But if I hit shutdown, it does. Logging out first makes both work though. When I want to restart, I just shutdown and hit the power button to restart. Not a deal breaker by any means for an otherwise perfectly working system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi,

Have you looked at my thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968626
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also have the same problem. As said by 'Libbard' (above)

"It's freeze when screen with ubuntu and the dot's under it loading and just like that for hours!!"

I think there is a software problem (bug) and I think 'livewire' is less than charitable in observing:

'For a major release of Ubuntu, there are sure a lot of glitches and bugs. I guess thats why its free'.

If you do not believe in the philosophy of open source software, you will never be satisfied with it.
    I do hope the software problem will be fixed soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spirosbond View Post
    I have the same problem with clean 12.04 install. Shutdown and Restart work ok from log screen though. So if you logout and the shutdown/restart it doesn't freeze. I've read that gnome-network-manager was causing such problems on 11.10 but I removed it and nothing changed. I just updated my ATI Radeon HD drivers to the latest from the official site. I will test and report.

I hope someone can help us!

Cheers...
    Two restarts and one shutdown with no problems
    Before the update, every restart/shutdown was freezing. So the problem must be somewhere at the graphics card's drivers.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After I changed Nvidia driver, I too can restart, but shutdown still hangs.
    ( I think I can restart anyway, I did 4 in a row with no problem. I had thought that the problem was solved until I tried to shutdown.)
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by spirosbond View Post
    Two restarts and one shutdown with no problems
    Before the update, every restart/shutdown was freezing. So the problem must be somewhere at the graphics card's drivers.

Cheers
    What driver exactly are you using?
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    What driver exactly are you using?
    First of all, I noticed that the freezes appeared only if you wait sometime (minimum 5mins) before you do a shutdown/restart.
    My graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 Graphics and I downloaded the latest drivers from here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I read that you have NVIDIA so you should try to do the same, with the official drivers (if any).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast