Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Beans

Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Ubuntu v12.04 LTS stalls on reboot after update.

Tried INIT_HALT = POWEROFF; and editing the etc/default/grub menu but the issue still exists.
    Last edited by dmunroe; October 5th, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Update Status...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    I was pointed to this post http://askubuntu.com/questions/10769...tdown-from-gui
    from an answer to my question on launchpad.

The answer boils down to this seems to have been a problem since 11.10, although in 11.10 I had no trouble shutting down or restarting.

One person wrote that he found a solution by adding the following line to the file /etc/default/halt:

Code:

INIT_HALT = POWEROFF
    I would like to report this has solved the shutdown problem in Ubuntu 12.04 on my Soltek K890Pro-939 MB.
    Last edited by curts; October 24th, 2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added Ubuntu version

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 (yeah I did an upgrade and not a clean install) and am having a couple of issues. The most pressing issue is that 4 times out of 5 when I try to shutdown, everything seems to go as it should except the machine won't completely shutdown. Everything seems off, but my power light stays on and I can't start the machine again until I hold the power button in for a few seconds and kill the machine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

UPDATE

I looked about and found reference to a bug with Nvidia drivers and shutdown / restart problems in 12.04. The bug wasn't exactly the same as the problem I had, but it was similar. I updated my Nvidia driver to the one with (post release updates)(version current updates) next to it in the list of additional drivers and the problem seems to be fixed. Specifically the driver I'm now using is version 295.40

I'm going to wait a couple of days before marking this thread as solved.

UPDATE 2

The problem still exists.

I have similar freezes with 64 bit studio 12.04 but thot is was h/w fault at first and went thru new MB, MEM, PS, NIC, case, and HD before finally arriving at conclusion that it was now evident on two PC's it was something buggy in OS code. Mostly shows on HORIZ mouse moves although has frozen many times while using vert scrolling in forums to input replies of suggestions here as well. Love benefits and rep of ubuntu but question it now when it becomes worse than wind0Ze for reliability.

Beans

My twist seems to be a little different. Running 12.04 on a Dell laptop.

If I am logged in as me (the administrator) and I click logout, it hangs. It will not go back to the login screen at all and I have to hold the power button to reboot. But I have no problems shutting down. Meaning I click shut down and she takes me all the way down to powering off the laptop with no hanging. Only when I logout.

I have a guest account on my laptop for the kids. This account I can login/logout all day long - no hanging. I can also switch user back and forth no problem. Only when I logout from the administrator account does it hang. And every time.

Weird.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrCorleone87 View Post
    OK boys I think I might have a solution to your problems because I had the same problem on numerous distros when using NVIDIA drivers and it took me about 6 months to figure out what causes the problem. The freeze on reboot/shutdown doesn't happen with the Nouveau drivers but those are still not good enough to me. Although they're getting better.

So anyway, it is the boot splash that causes the problem. What you have to do is open your file manager as root. For those who don't know how to do it, you open the terminal and type sudo nautilus or su - c 'nautilus'. Nautilus is obviously just an example , so if you're using thunar or pcmanfm you type in su -c 'thunar' etc etc.

Now, you go to etc/default/grub and you look for the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    and you change it to:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

Then you look for the line:
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    and you uncomment it and change the resolution to the actual resolution of your screen.
    (Mine is 1366x768)
    Once you do that, you add an additional line right under and it goes like this:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1366x768
    So when you're done , everything should look like this:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1366x768
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1366x768

Now you save it, open a new terminal window and type in sudo update-grub
    You reboot and that's it.
    Obviously you won't have plymouth anymore but console output instead. However I think it's definitely worth it and I rather have working NVIDIA drivers without splash screen than the other way around. This solution works for me and it works for all the Ubuntu based distros. I hope it will work for you guys and let me know if it did. This was really bothering me for a long time
    This worked perfectly for me.

Raden HD 5800, Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For me fix was quite easy:
    In "additional drivers" I've set "current-updates" instead of "current". Now I do not have any problems with reboots/shutdowns.

I have GeForce 8600M GT and driver version 304.88.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567