Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Beans

Re: 12.04 shutdown freezes

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    I don't see a Grub menu on boot - I have a blank screen for a while then goes right to the login screen.
    Like CharlesA wrote - Grub is the place to choose.
    But don't ask me why it is there.
    I've seen it once in a while with my 10.10.
    And with any 12.04 installation I did (beta and final), Grub was always shown at startup.

So, my words are not of help I guess.

Anyway - good luck.

@everybody - new problem occured:
    when booting with the older kernel and no (!) propriet nvida driver, the system started up from standby into the same black screen as the shut down issue (with the little difference that the keyboard was working).
    So going back to an older kernel and no nvida drivers doesn't solve it with my Dell Inspiron 1720.

Hmmm, I know that 12.04 is a just born baby, but ... - maybe I'm just some days patient with the developpers.

no-thing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Shift it is - that is so strange though on every other version of Ubuntu I used over the last 3 years, my computer has always shown the Grub menu automatically.

One by one I'm picking off the things that are a problem in 12.04. You don't know how to map the spell check in Gedit to different keys do you?

For some reason, Shift+F7 no longer does anything.
    I haven't used gedit all that much on Precise, and didn't use it for spell check at all.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@No-Thing

I'm booting into kernel 3.2.0.23.25 without the Nvidia drivers and so far so good.
    Just to see what would happen, I tried with the old kernel and Nvidia drivers - I was OK for about three shutdowns.

So I pulled the Nvidia drivers again. Now, I get some funky stuff on the screen at startup, but that goes away quickly and the computer comes to the login screen.

I really wonder why I'm grubless unless I hold down the shift key? I do see a pale purple screen for a long time during boot. I think that is when the grub should be visible, but it's not.

@CharlesA

I know Gedit is not as feature filled as other word processors. I do a lot of translation for the web though and Gedit is just so quick. I find it easier to work with than a lot of other programs - although having to go to the menu to check the spelling of my translations is annoying.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------
    GUI we don't need no stinking GUI: A collection of Bash scripts
    Mutt (email), cmus (music),Google Calendar and Google Tasks cli

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I really wonder why I'm grubless unless I hold down the shift key? I do see a pale purple screen for a long time during boot. I think that is when the grub should be visible, but it's not.

@CharlesA

I know Gedit is not as feature filled as other word processors. I do a lot of translation for the web though and Gedit is just so quick. I find it easier to work with than a lot of other programs - although having to go to the menu to check the spelling of my translations is annoying.
    Not sure about precise, but in lucid, grub didn't show automatically when you had one OS installed.

Nice use for gedit, that's for sure.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Hello,
    I same problem. I have 2 PCs with Ubuntu Precise, Acer Aspire 4535 and desktop. In my laptop, it works fine and can be shutting down. But in my desktop, I can't be shutting down after I install ATI/AMD Radeon additional driver and make another user account. It keeps like that until now, although I have re-install Ubuntu with remastering from my laptop and keeping /home directory.

Have seen a lonstanding issue on 12.04 with restarts/shutdowns, bug was filed specific to machine, arch, chipset & driver but maybe what 'fixes' here could be of help
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/940564

nouveau - no issues
    downgrading nvidia-current to 290.20 - no issues
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...90.10-0ubuntu2

going to a 64 bit install - no issues

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Have seen a lonstanding issue on 12.04 with restarts/shutdowns, bug was filed specific to machine, arch, chipset & driver but maybe what 'fixes' here could be of help
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/940564

nouveau - no issues
    downgrading nvidia-current to 290.20 - no issues
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...90.10-0ubuntu2
    Is the 290.10 the same driver that is available on the Nvidia website? I downloaded a driver with the version number 290.10 from their site and then I could no longer boot into graphical mode.

Another stupid question, how can I tell which version of the nouveau driver I have?
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

I'm having the issue on my Inspiron 1520 with nVidia's 295.40 driver installed. I'm not really sure what to do with it other than hold the power button when it doesn't shut down right, but sometimes I don't catch it and my battery is dead when I come back. My install of Xubuntu 12.04 is only a few days old, but it happened the first time I tried to shut down after the fresh install.

@GrouchyGaijin: I checked my driver version under Applications->System->NVIDIA X Server Settings

Beans

It is gone!

I reinstalled the whole system - I even deleted the partition table.
    Now I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit (before 32 bit).

All restart and shut down problems disappeared.

Nvidia 295.40

Now 12.04 really start to make fun.

good luck
    not-thing

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wrin View Post
    I'm having the issue on my Inspiron 1520 with nVidia's 295.40 driver installed. I'm not really sure what to do with it other than hold the power button when it doesn't shut down right, but sometimes I don't catch it and my battery is dead when I come back. My install of Xubuntu 12.04 is only a few days old, but it happened the first time I tried to shut down after the fresh install.

@GrouchyGaijin: I checked my driver version under Applications->System->NVIDIA X Server Settings
    I was able to stop the problem by removing the Nvidia drivers.
    I'm now using the nouveau-pci-0100 driver and kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae.

I found that with the nouveau driver installed it is no longer necessary to use the older kernel.

When I start the computer I get some funky lines on the screen, but they go away after a couple of seconds and then everything seems to work as it should.
    Last edited by GrouchyGaijin; May 9th, 2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast