Thread: Combining C++ and Python

Beans

Combining C++ and Python

I have written a todo task manager in C++. I want to save the tasks into an xml file. So i need a XML library. I tried libxml++. let us keep it aside. I want to use python for doing this job. can I combine python with C++. is there anyway to combine two languages in single program..
    Vanangamudi
    Minniyal Poriyalan
    Puduvai,Bharatham.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Combining C++ and Python

Have not tried it , but boost could be of help .
    http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0...doc/index.html
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vanangamudi View Post
    can I combine python with C++. is there anyway to combine two languages in single program..
    Yup.

Python is written in C, and you can embed Python code in C or C++ using the Python C API. You can also extend Python with a C or C++ module.

The documentation on this topic is quite extensive, so have a look!

EDIT: All that said, embedding isn't a great option because converting data from Python types to C types is very fiddly, so if your xml isn't very simple, it could be a good bit of work. Extending Python is an option, but it's a poor fit if you've already implemented everything in C++. Personally, I'd have done the whole project in Python, but at this point I would use a C++ based XML library.
    Last edited by LemursDontExist; April 29th, 2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: More thoughts

Beans

I dont know much about python but i know c++. Only thing i can recomend you is that you google Cython which is a programing langauge to simplify writing c and c++ extension modules.